19 Anger

Black Clover Trivia #10: Noelle's favourite things are sweets and annoying but cute things

- - - - - - - - - -

The group stood frozen at the news. Noelle felt tears creeping up in her eyes as she covered her mouth in shock. Finral tightened his fists, teeth clenching in frustration as he gazed at Delphia's prone form with watery eyes. The captains were tense, anger welling in them at the state of the tarot user.

"W-what do you mean she might not wake up?" Asta's voice was strained and quiet, cutting through the tense silence like a knife.

"It's as I said, Asta," Julius sighed regretfully, "Owen and the other healers have done everything they could for Delphia. When or if she wakes up is in her hands. There is nothing more we can do."

The Wizard King felt an immense burden fall on his shoulders as he watched the despair grow within the assembled mages. Battles could not be won by perseverance alone. A sacrifice was always made, whether it be the destruction of cities, the wounds of their citizens, or the Magic Knights' lives. Every mage under his orders knew this well, Delphia, most notably.

She knew, and she made her choice. It was that choice that Julius should have watched out for. After years of her service, he's learned much about the young clairvoyant. One of the many traits he's come to know about her is that she always puts her people's lives above her own.

"I'll be summoning the squad captains for a meeting before addressing the public of the situation," Julius explained, "There will be much to discuss in consideration of the kingdom's state and Delphia's condition. For now, I implore you to keep Delphia's circumstance to yourselves. It would do us no good for her vulnerability to be known."

Asta was about to salute when he was cut off by a sharp, cold voice.

"If you'll excuse me," Nozel moved swiftly, his cloak billowing behind him as he made his exit.

Fuegoleon frowned at his rival's back before bowing his head politely to Julius as he followed after.

What is that guy's problem? Asta balked as the two captains left. We're supposed to be showing solidarity right now. Take a hint, man!

"It seems the enemy has awakened the hawk and lion with the fall of their youngest packmate." Julius mused.

Pathetic. What an appalling spectacle. Never let this happen again, Nozel. The Silver Eagle's Captain berated himself, his mind flashing to his vassal's fallen, bloody form. And Delphia... I will find the scum who did this to you and slay them myself.

Yami stared down at Delphia's resting form, his eyes trailing to the glowing orb by her bedside overlooking her overall health. It was glowing a faint green, blinking at the same pace as her heart, which eased his worries. Stretching out his neck, he sighed.