24 Kindle

Coddiwomple Trivia #12: Delphia once dyed her hair the same colour as her father's but changed it back when her Aunt Liliane mentioned how she and Langris could be mistaken as siblings

- - - - - - - - - -

Owen could feel a growing headache emerging as he removed his glasses, pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration. His hand ran through his unkempt grey hair, eyes weary as he looked over his diagnosis over a particular patient for what felt like the millionth time. Every treatment he could possibly offer her did nothing more than keep her stable. He had even gone to other healers in hopes of gaining another opinion on the matter while ensuring his Delphia's identity was never revealed.

Physically she was fine, but the crystals monitoring her brain activity have stubbornly remained amber, flashing red every now and then, much to the healer's anxiousness.

Marx's attempts to use his magic to inspect her mental state had been thwarted, much to their concern and shock. Despite her oracular abilities, Delphia had never concealed her memories from her fellow advisor, trusting him with her knowledge. It had alarmed the two as Marx failed to access her thoughts as foreign magic obstructed him every time. The only thing the pair could do was act as sentries as the crystals flickered between amber and red.

Owen ruffled his already messy hair in resentment in his lack of abilities to ensure Delphia's awakening. What good of a healer was he if he couldn't even do this?

"You're not a bad healer, you know?"

His green eyes drifted sullenly towards the violet haired mage as she stared fixate in the cards dancing in front of her as they rearranged themselves to her whims. Her eyes glanced up to meet his own.

Owen stopped himself from rolling his eyes as he let out choked out a hollow laugh.

"Tell that to the dead mage in the next room."

Delphia sighed, waving her hand lazily for her cards shuffle, dainty fingers quickly grasping three of her choosing to look over.

"Tell me, Owen, was your diagnosis of the patient correct?"

Owen frowned, wondering where the younger mage was going with this but answered nonetheless. "Yes. I had rechecked it several times and even had the apprentices watch for any changes during the healing process."

"Did you deliberate over all possible avenues of treatment before choosing the best one for the highest chances of survival?"

"Of course."

"You even attempted to resuscitate him for 10 minutes before the others pulled you back."

"... I did."

"Then you did everything you could, Owen," Delphia affirmed, "You did your best."

His self-loathing reached an all-new high at those words, his nails almost drawing blood from his palms from how tightly he was clenching his hands to reign his temper. "And my best left me with a dead patient!" He was just point screaming at this point as he rose to his feet.