3: It's getting late, I better take you home

Being Temple Magus was boring. If my situation was any better, I would have been fine with how tedious everything was. But I was restless. All my friends were out there trying to find a solution to our many problems while I had to sit at Vera's former office to tend to mundane Temple duties.

And speaking of Vera and solutions, I still had no idea what she was up to. I'm not even certain if she hadn't carried out her plan yet. I don't know where she is, and that just added to my being anxious. It was killing me thinking about all the help I could give, but instead, all I got was either Vera's texts once in a while asking me how things were or, at this very moment, Randall's phone calls.

"How are the Temple Magus duties going?" I scoffed at his question. He knew very well how they were going. Even in adversities, Randall still dared to mock me about my new position. Typical.

"What's going on with Lilith?"

"Still passed out."

"What, it's been almost 24 hours."

"Nicole must have hit her pretty hard."

Nicole's gasp was audible. "Randall, I told you that I hit her with powder, not a whole freaking brick."

"Could you two stop arguing already? I'm trying to read here!" And of course, that was Gabrielle.

"Randall? Talk to me, buddy."

"Right, right. Hey, Hammerhead."

I huffed as a complaint to the nickname. "So what are you guys doing?"

"Nicole and Gabrielle are finding an incantation or potion that could help Lilith in whatever way while I'm basically standing guard."

"That's good. Tell me if you need me for anything. Good luck."

"Thanks, dude. You too. With surviving your job that is."

"Dick." And so I was back to my new, monotonous responsibilities. Until I heard my phone ringing. Reading the name of the caller, I thought as I had imagined because there was just no way he would call me first.

"Jack?" I directly asked as soon as I pressed the green button.

He was silent for a few seconds and his breathing was heavy."Hamish. Can you come pick me up?"

"Okay. Send me the address." Then he hung up.

"Vera? I need to ask permission to go out." Thank goodness she wasn't away today.

"And where is out exactly?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Jack." This seemed to catch her attention instantly.

"Mr. Morton- he's finally contacted you?" I nodded.

"May I accompany you?" Wait, what?

"What?" I sputtered out. "Um- you wanna leave the Temple? What about-"

"Just text everyone that they're relieved from their duties until further notice."

"Uh, okay." I nodded reluctantly.

"So, shall we?"

The drive to where Jack's instructions lead us was quiet. Neither of us made the first move to speak. And really, there was no reason to. At some point, Vera took my hand and intertwined our fingers, and I was grateful. My distress was obvious, and it showed by her initiative to do something to help calm me down. If I was standing, I would have been pacing already.

"I'm guessing this is it?" The stop was made somewhere which could only be described as "middle of nowhere".

"Yeah." I quickly retracted the keys and stuffed them into my pocket and called out for Jack immediately.