14: but it's just the price I pay, destiny is calling me

"It's getting louder. Why is this happening?" Thomas was accurate in his observation.

"The demon is coming to your temple." Someone from the video call stated in relief.

"Why would it be coming here?" The question was met with silence.

Another caller cleared his throat to grab our attention. "Well, seeing as this is your temple's problem, I think it's best that we leave now."

"You guys are just leaving?" Selena exclaimed.

"We'd love to help, of course, but I think this is beyond our control." Murmurs of support followed the comment.

"We're just going to die here then? Including the entirety of Norwich? And maybe even the whole of Connecticut?" Angus angrily roared at the projected faces.

"We wish you all the best." One by one, everyone from the screen dropped the call.

"That's it?" A random voice called out from the room.

"We're all going to die!" And then another one.

"And for what?" Stewart accusingly glowered at Vera.

"Grand Magus?" Thomas waited for her response expectantly.

The woman in question had a troubled expression on her. She looked around and finally met my gaze. I nodded at her in encouragement.

"I-" Vera started, but a slight shaking of the floor hindered her admission. Wide-eyed and filled with trepidation, her first reaction was to look at me apologetically. "I'm going to explain everything later. For now, everyone, protect yourselves."

She immediately put herself in the front lines and braced herself for what was to come.

"Shouldn't we be protecting you, Magus?" Thomas gawked in confusion.

"He's right. You can't risk yourself." I knew that she understood what I meant. And one glance at her, I also heard her unspoken confession.

"What kind of leader would I be if I'm not willing to protect my people? It only makes sense for me to be the one to greet the demon, and I'm not afraid." There were so much fire and sincerity in her eyes. As much as it pained me to let her, this was something she stood for, and I couldn't allow myself to be in the way, because it wouldn't have been fair.

I refrained from any emotion to be visible on me. The urge to plead her, to stand in front of her; it was a lot to repress. My love for her still outweighed everything that I felt, and the greatness of that emotion made me desire what she wanted.

So instead, I did the single best thing I knew I could do: I remained by her side. My display of loyalty must have inspired some of the Council. They, too, had marched towards us to defend the rest.

Thunderous footsteps were audible from the outside, and then all of a sudden, the door vanished, and we were all faced with who I assumed was Xzhuria in a long, blue gown, a hoard of an undead army, and a smug green demon whose smirk was directed at Vera. I gulped at the realization of their identity.

"So," Tiltidor grinned maniacally. "We meet again, Grand Magus."

"Again?" A member of The Council gasped. "Grand Magus, what does the demon mean by that?"

"Oh, you didn't know? Well, of course, you didn't. You wanna tell them yourself, Magus?"

"Too late." Tiltidor snapped their fingers, which caused Vera's mouth to disappear. My heart quickened as my fury grew. It wasn't until she tugged at my shirt and gave me a reassuring look that I was able to calm myself. "You see, your Magus here summoned me not too long ago to- and you'll never guess this, retrieve her magic."