10 part 1: wait, if I'm on fire

Yesterday's revelation was still something I could not shake from my head. From the glass door in the corner of the room, I noticed the sun beginning to rise. The rays that managed to peak through our space licked Vera's skin. I watched her as she slept. It wasn't something that I haven't done before, but this time, dread filled my being at the scary suggestion of the future's possibility made by the necromancer.

She began to stir, her eyes fluttering open. An engulfing wave of relief washed over me.

"Hey. Good morning." I slid a hand underneath her body and wrapped her in a tight embrace. She angled her head to press a kiss on my forehead.

"Morning." She adjusted herself so that we were facing each other.

"Why do you look like you've been up for a while?" Her eyes scanned my face. "Wait, have you been?"

"No, just a couple of minutes before you."

"That's good."

"Yeah. How are you feeling?" The question took her by surprise, which lead her to a conclusion she unmistakably disliked.

"Like I just woke up. Is that why you woke up earlier? Because of yesterday? I told you, she could just be pulling my leg. It was probably nothing but a scare tactic."

"I messaged with Jack while you were asleep and-"

"About what?"

"Nothing specific about you, of course. He told me how necromancy helps her see the future, and she's demonstrated it quite a lot when she was on the hunt for Jack and Alyssa."

"Also, I can tell you're not so sure." I sighed deeply, moving a hand to tuck a stray strand of her hair. "Look, we need to be able to talk about this. I can tell you're uncomfortable and I completely understand. But if there's any possibility that what she's saying is true, we need to get ahead of the situation." Before worst comes to worst.

"Okay, how about a compromise?" She proposed. "I look into all of this, and if something unfortunate does come up during my research, I will call you-"

"Regardless of time or event?"

She looked at me disapprovingly. "Maybe not since you're a TA."

"That's fair. But you know my schedule, so whenever I'm free, you call as soon as possible."

"I might not even need to."

"I know. I just... I love you. I need to be sure you're safe or I might not be able to focus on anything else."

She nods in complete understanding. "I love you, too."

Having ended our heavy-hearted conversation, Vera removed herself from the bed. "Are you coming with me to the Temple?"

I extended my hand to her, still lying down. She grabbed it and helped me up. "Ah, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to ride my car today. I have to check on Lilith. I will be right by your side as soon as we come to a resolution about whatever is bothering her, though."

My lips meet her cheek. Every morning, this was our routine. We go into a bit of communication before our preparations. I always make sure to give her a kiss, as long as it's not on the mouth. Because as she impatiently reminds me, she's extremely conscious of morning breath.

"So, what do you want for breakfast?"

After the hearty meal Vera fixed for the two of us, we were out of the door straight away and onto our separate businesses for the day. I invited Lilith over text to meet me at the Blade and Chalice, and here we were, sitting at the most secluded table possible.