9: our love in a coffin, if that's how you want it

Today was the day. We were going to finally, truly rid the world of Praxis this time. And to do so, we had to be at the Temple at 5 o'clock in the morning. Well, not really, but being prepared didn't hurt.

"Why did we have to be here so early? Are we sure those Praxholes aren't still eating breakfast?" Randall complained, followed by a very loud and slow yawn. Most of us were sat on the stools of the bar, some had their heads buried on their arms napping.

"Are we all good?" I scanned the entire room, not bothering to respond to Randall's quips. I made sure to include Alyssa, who was hiding behind the bar. My question was met with tired-looking and slouched bodies.

"What did you tell the others?" Nicole, who was the only one who seemed even slightly energetic from the bunch, asked all of a sudden.

"I just texted them that we were giving them time to recover from yesterday."

"That's actually kinda smart." Gabrielle teased.

I feigned annoyance, shaking my head slightly at her. "You seem surprised. I feel offended."

"So... are we just going to wait here or what?" Lilith, the ever impatient, chimed in.

"I mean, there's really nothing else to do." Jack shrugged.

"How are classes?" Randall, from his sleepy state, grinned at all of us.

"Seriously-" My reply was interrupted by the sound of the door being opened forcefully, and the ringing that came with it.

Randall groaned. "Did you guys need to barge in the second I started a conversation?"

"She's here." One of the Praxis members exclaimed. There were about ten or so of them. "Give us Alyssa."

I stretched my arms and rubbed my eyes, hoping the exhaustion wore off quicker if I did so. I approached the flock and smiled at each of them. "Let's have a chat first before we begin with the negotiations. Did you cause the earthquake yesterday?"

"Why would we do that? Endangering the entire neighborhood isn't part of our plan." She quickly caught herself, realizing the irony of the statement. "Not anymore."

"But you did perform magic for something. What was it?" Jack made the mistake of opening his mouth. His presence only aggravated their current leader.

"Why should we answer to you? You're nothing, but a bunch of selfish and privileged assholes who think they get to hoard something so special. Especially not to you, thief."

"Whoops, I guess now's the time to do our worst?" Lilith cheerfully suggested, slapping her hands together in excitement.

Alyssa, who once was beneath the bar table, ran in between the two sides. "Wait. Just give me a minute."

"Sure. As long as you remember the consequences of being stupid."

"Alyssa, what are you doing? We've come to set you free." The one on the middle spoke.

"Guys, I know all of you. What we stood for, it was the greatest thing we've ever believed in our lives. But it's time to move on."

Almost every single member of Praxis wore the same expressions: worry and confusion. Except for one who let out a sardonic chuckle. "Did they brainwash you or something? This is coming from the woman who, not only a month ago, swore that she was ready to kill herself and everybody else just for the cause. You said that you were one of us. You said that Salvador's actions wouldn't be in vain-"

"What you said is exactly why this is so wrong. Praxis changed me. Anger changed me. I made decisions and sat with ones that I would never have felt comfortable with. I admire our drive and our passion to share what we have with the world without asking for anything. And I loved Salvador with every fiber in my being. I am grateful for the way she's opened my eyes. But the thing is, we were willing to risk people's lives to save them. Even our own members! And we weren't even certain of succeeding! I would never have stood for that. I lost myself and only now did I start realizing that I did."

Specularis (The Order - Vermish)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara