Ch.18 Worried

Goggles absently listened with one ear so he could try to chime in from time to time but didn't seem to find the right moment and just sat there in silence.

——————————————————————————————————————————— <3

After a while of chatting, Specs and his team decided to go to a mall near Inkopolis Square where they were now looking through different clothing stores and weapon shops. Or at least Headphones and Bobble Hat loudly agreed while Goggles stayed quiet and just followed them. In hindsight, he should've specifically asked for his other team member's opinion as well but Specs already missed that opportunity. „It probably doesn't matter to him. Goggles would've protested if he didn't like it, right?", he thought and let the subject go.

Team Blue's leader listened to the girl's conversation about what clothes they were going to buy and how well they suited them, they were clearly enjoying themselves. But the atmosphere still didn't have it's usual feeling. At first Specs couldn't quite grasp on what was missing and started comparing today to their last hangout to try and see a difference.

And then it dawned on him. Of course... Goggles! He was extremely out of character! He was quiet and calm and it completely changed the meeting's mood. Specs found it pretty relaxing compared to usually; no antics disturbing their current activity, no loud interruptions drawing bystanders' attention, no constant talking and cheering up or somebody trying his best to make everybody smile... The last part made the taller inkling think. He never saw it that way, or at least not very often, but he had to admit generally enjoying Goggles company. Specs glanced over to the inkling in question, he's been acting strange the last few days and you could say he was starting to get worried.

„Hey Goggles...", Specs said while keeping his voice down, Headphones and Bobble Hat still being engaged in their own conversation.

„Hm?", he answered turning his head in Specs direction. Goggles eyes lacked their usual glow and his smile was faint. He looked tired.

„Is there anything bothering you lately?", the glasses wearing inkling continued while waiting for his teammate's response.

„N...not really", he answered hesitantly after taking a moment. His smile quickly grew brighter and Specs couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't quite right. He looked down to his feet and thought.

„By the way... I'm sorry about yesterday. You can hang out with who you want, just so you know...", the team leader said quietly.

He worried that Goggles might still be feeling bad about their argument the day before. Specs doesn't even know why he lashed out, he was confused and maybe a bit hurt. While also wondering why Rider of all people invited Goggles over in the first place. Maybe he should've been looking for his teammate himself that evening before the stormy night. Maybe he should've invited him over, not Rider...

„Oh...oh it's okay, really! Don't worry about it, haha", Goggles answered followed by a giggle. Seeing the other boy's sudden cheery grin made Specs feel a bit better, but he wasn't a hundred percent sure if the shorter inkling's smile was genuine. It was scary to think Goggles could fake his feelings and facing that possibilitiy was extremely unsettling to Specs. No, he wouldn't do that, right?

For the rest of the day, Specs tried his best to talk to Goggles whenever he had the chance. Asking random or irrelevant things, hoping his friend would continue a conversation on his own, but nothing. He just awkwardly answered and got quiet again, not even asking back. What is going on? Specs has never seen Goggles behave this way...well at least not since-

„...Specs? You there?", Headphones said waving her hand in front of his face with an amused expression.

„Ugh..! Yeah?", he answered back and nervously straightened his glasses.

„We're going home, it's getting dark", she said tilting her head in the sunset's direction and he could hear Bobbles chuckle.

„Yes, of course", Specs said and paused for a moment. „What about inviting the others over for the night?", he then asked keeping his voice down.

„Uh, really? I think I'd rather get some sleep after last night's party and worrying about Goggles, you know?", Headphones answered not being very fond of the idea.

„Hmpf" Specs crossed his arms.

„You can stay with them if you want, but I'd like to sleep in peace today", Headphones joked and gestured in their home's direction. Specs shook his head barely noticeable and after everybody said goodbye he followed her back home. The team leader looked back once more to seeing Goggles steadily walking home with Bobbles barely keeping up with his pace.

„Something's not right", he thought to himself and couldn't keep his mind off Goggles all of the way back to Headphones and his place.

——————————————————————————————————————————— <3

I hope it wasn't too short!
Also I find it interesting to show other people's perspectives... is it only me or??
Anyways, I hope y'all enjoyed this and I already have ideas for the next one! But tomorrow's sunday and you bet I didn't do homework earlier, but that's on me sooo ;)

I also want to thank you for your continuous support <3 !!

18.06.2020
877 words