4| 넷

04.

[After a week.]

It was hard moving out the expired food cans to a waste box. There were many and a lot heavy too. It felt like my body would give up soon due to the weight. It's been one week and here I am, already tired of the job. But there's nothing else I could do in this situation.

As I was busy stacking up the new stock into the shelf the store bell rang indicating the arrival of a customer. 

I left the things there standing up from my knelt down figure. I dusted off my skirt and made my way towards the counter.

"안녕하세요 (hello.)" I said.

There stood a guy fully covered in black from head to toe. Black ripped jeans, black jacket on top of his tee. Even his face was covered by his cap.

"Can I get a pack of cigarette?" He spoke in a cold voice. 

"Ah yes!" I responded taking a pack and handing it in front.

While he was taking out his money he adjusted his cap as it revealed a bit of his side profile. Did I see him before? His voice kind off felt familiar too?

Wait.

"It's you?" I thought loudly. I covered my mouth instantly not to sound rude.

It's him. 

"Huh?" He looked at me and but eventually his face changed in realization.

"Ah. You" he said. "You're fine now, right?"

He remembers.

"Yes, I am." It was kind of awkward.

He hummed and handed me the money. I was busy putting the cash inside the drawer and when I looked up to him, he bowed and left immediately.

Oh no.

I rushed out from the counter and went outside to go behind him. I saw his figure leaving. He wasn't that far. I can catch up.

"저기요!(excuse me.)" I said loudly.

He didn't hear it for the first time so I went for it again to which he turned. His face was drained with a gaunt expressionless stare.

I looked behind me, to check if the store weren't that far. Luckily it wasn't. I ran towards him. He squinted his eyes as I neared him. I was panting heavily.

"뭐야? (what?)" He said staring at my flustered figure.

"Ah...it's-" I straightened up and took a deep breath. "I wanted to thank you" I said slowly.

He tilted his head confusingly.

"Thank you for saving me that day" I said and bowed two to three times.

He just blinked at my remark.

"You ran all the way to say this?" He said with a slight mock in his words.

"Ne."

"Tch"

"You're a lifesaver." I continued. "If it weren't you, I'd have given up my life the next day."

He looked at me bewildered.

"I know a simple thank you won't do much, so if there's anything that I can help you with, please, you can ask me. Without any hesitation." I smiled. "And I trust you with my whole life now" I said hoping he'd understand.

"How can you trust someone you met only once?" He mocked. Yet again.

"I don't know"

"Huh?"

"But I really do trust you after that incident. You did that for me...." I thought for a while.

"...you seem like a good guy?" I said smiling.

"G-good guy?" He stammered slightly.

I nodded and was about to ask his name but instantly got distracted as I heard the near by shops closing.

"Oh no. I need to head back to the store." I said bowing and turning to leave. But I paused my footsteps and remembered something.

I turned to face him. Surprisingly, he was still there rooted in the ground, staring at my direction.

"And..."

He averted his eyes to mine.

"You should try quit smoking" I said to which he raised on of his eyebrow. I shouldn't be bothering other's life but.

"You shouldn't waste your life like this. Enjoy the life which God has given you"

I said and waved my hands at him running back to the store. 

___

[08222020]

dynamite: a song you'll never get tired of

-mintwinkle