Chapter VI

10-73

I wanted to dive in after him, but that would just cause more trouble and that's the last thing we need at the moment. I noticed that Brody wasn't coming up and that's when I started to panic. Stephanie saw this and drove the boat around and used it to splash parts of the flames with water, putting bits of the fire out. "Brody!" I yelled out as I put my hand under the water, hoping he'll see it. I felt a hand grab mine, making me tighten my grip and pull the person up. Luckily it was Matt. He got onto the boat and coughed up some water that he had accidentally swallowed. "You okay?" I asked and he nodded. "That was a fucking brilliant plan, Brody. You see fire and swim right into it." I said with anger and worry. Suddenly he booped my nose, making me look at him in shock. "You care about me. I care about you." "Of course I care about you, you idiot!" I yelled and kissed him on his cheek before standing back up. He looked at me so confused. "I don't get more than that?" I sighed and pointed at the fire. "Matt, the fire." "Right." He said and stood up, making me roll my eyes with a playful scoff. 

Dad game back safely with another guy. We tried saving him but he was dead. 

We got back to the bay and the cops and the paramedics were there. I stood with dad, Matt and Summer.
M: You disobeyed an order out there, put yourself in danger. You can't save anyone if you die.
MB: Yeah, I know. I messed up. Okay? I'm just...what are we still doing here?
C: Just write down whatever dad is saying from now.
MB: Can we just go?
Dad lifted up the blanket that was over the dead councilman.
M: Victim is male, 5 foot 9...
Dad was cut short by the beat cop, Garner Ellerbee. He turned off his ATV and gott off of it.
GE: Hey, hey, hey. Get back right now. Do not contaminate my crime scene.
M: Come on, Ellerbee. Don't give me any of that jurisdiction shit.
Ellerbee took off his sunglasses.
GE: Uh, no, I won't, because technically, you don't have jurisdiction, lifeguard. Make sure swim-happy white people don't drown.
C: Technically, that boat out there is the coats guard's jurisdiction. Okay?
M: And if I would've waited for them, all there girls would be dead.
Girl 1: What?
Girl 2: We would have died?
M: Burned to a crisp.
Girl 3: I'm not ready to die!
M: I know. Its okay, you're not. So technically, we saved lives.
GE: Technically, I see a dead body, which technically makes this a crime scene
MB: Hey, technically, these "technically's" are wasting a lot of time, technically.
GE: Thank you, blue-eyed demon.
C: That blue-eyed demon is my boyfriend. So I'd watch you mouth if I were you.
GE: Sorry, Cami.
C: Nah, it's fine.
Me and Ellerbee did a fist bump.
GE: And as far as this dead body goes, look. Badge on a uniform. Patch on a swimsuit.
M: Lieutenant. Best cop. So keep us informed of the investigation and we're gonna do the same.
I chuckled a little.
GE: All right. Hey, how do I keep in touch? Seashell phone, or do I just blow into the conch and you appear?
M: That's the spirit, Ellerbee. Just call me on the shell phone. That's all you gotta do. I'll tell you this, if you crack this case, they're gonna upgrade you to a Segway and they're gonna give you big-boy pants to wear, cover up those chicken legs.
Ellerbee turned to look at the dead man.
GE: Oh, Christ, that's...
C: Councilman Rodriguez.
M: Good luck, officer.
We all then walked away.

Time skip

It was lunch time and I ordered a cheesesteake for lunch. Brody came and sat next to me with a sigh. He kissed my cheek and took a sip of his drink.
S: How was your day today?
Summer asked Brody.
MB: Uh, I don't know. A guy died.
SH: Maybe this is why we keep loosing recruits. They can't handle it.
Stephanie said to my dad.
M: Yeah. I mean, not that you know our job is much more than you expected, right, the stakes are higher. What happened today, while very tragic, unfortunately, it does happen. So if you want to quit, hey, we totally get it. But if you don't and you choose to stay, just know that Baywatch is more than a job. It's a way of life.
MB: "A way of life." You and I both know I'm sticking around
R: Am I the only one that got a salad?
Ronnie asked causing me to chuckled once. Since nobody said anything I decided not to either.
MB: Look, this is what I don't understand, okay? A gut dies. That's tragic. But that doesn't mean that there's anything sinister going on. Okay? And even if there was, that's not our job. That's not what we do we're lifeguards. So, this, technically, has nothing to do with us. You just heard that cop. He just told us that.
R: I just thought you had to be on a really restrictive diet to look like you guys.

I chuckled once again.
C: Brody, baby. What is it that think we do here at Baywatch?
MB: I thought we were lifeguards I thought we prevent people from getting sunburned and, yeah, occasionally stop them from drowning.
C: That's all you thought? Nothing else?
MB: It's exactly what I thought it was.
I chuckled for the third time in under five minutes. Dad looked at C.J.
SH: C.J., how about you throw a few of last month's cases at Olympiad here and see what he'd do.
MB: "Cases"?
I rolled my eyes at dad for toying with Brody.
C.J: Okay, um... School of manta ray in the cove?
MB: You call animal control?
M: Before animal control shows up, the school of manta ray fly up out of the water, sting someone in the chest and they die.
R: Steve Irwin R.I.P.
SH: How about, uh, sand grifters running a con on the beach, right?
MB: Well, I'm not exactly sure what a sand grifters is, Stephanie. But I would probably call the cops.
I rolled my eyes again and explained to Matt what a sand grifter is.
C: Sand grifter are beach thieves. So while you're working on your tan, they're out there stealing things from families and friends on the beach.
MB: Thanks, babe.
I smiled at him and returned to my food.

M: I'll give you one better. How about diamond smugglers who are putting the rocks in surfboards and bringing them ashore.
MB: Everything that you guys are talking about sounds like a really, like, entertaining, but far-fetched TV show. But if that was the case, I would definitely call the cops.
M: We could call the cops, and then do nothing, like most people would. But that's not us, it's not how we operate. We watch when other people don't want to watch. We protect when other people don't want to protect. If we do the bare minimum, sometimes people die.
I nodded at my dad's words. I continued to eat though.
M: Guys, we have flakka that just washed ashore. That shit is hardcore and it fucking kills people. And now we got a dead body in our bay. And the girls on that boat had the same drugs on them that I found in front of Leeds's club. So my gut says that it's all connected.
S: Wait, Leeds did say there'd be an open house tonight, right?
M: Yes, she did. And we're all going.

A/N: Another chapter, yay! Still rushing it! I have 22 hours left and I think I'll be done today with it. Enjoy!