Chapter Nine

I walked into the Cafe to be greeted by Florence Brown, Jake's co-worker and friend.

"Hey, Dyl." She greets. I smile.

Florence was a short girl with a large presence and larger intuition. It wasn't long before she found out that my long, endearing stares towards Jake whenever I came around were not friendly ones.

Of course, I denied it numerous times, claiming that that's just how I normally look at people, which had some remnants of truth to it since I did have a very endearing stare in general, but she had rebutted it saying that why didn't I give her the same look? I then decided to say that I liked her and she laughed stated that I wasn't fooling anyone but myself.

"You've got anything special that I can try?" I asked.

Her peach glossy lips curls into a smile.

"Well, Jake's coming out in two minutes, you can try that." 

I grin, flustered.

"Nice." I stuttered, my confident demeanour falling apart. She chuckles before gesturing towards an empty table for me to sit at, and I wait for what seemed like ages before Jake strolls out, looking hot as usual.

He glances around and Florence walks towards him, whispering in his ear. Jake gazes at me with a small smile, strolling towards me.

"Why are you here?" Was the first thing he asked me.

"To get a coffee, of course." I replied with a scoff.

Jack raises an eyebrow.

"You hate coffee." He states, deadpan.

"Well, I also wanted to get a coffee, then not get a coffee and then see you." I confess, smugly. Jake glares at me, before grabbing a chair sitting opposite me. He then stares into my eyes with excitement before sighing.

"You've got college tomorrow. Go home and do your homework."

"You've got college tomorrow as well!" I retort.

"Well, I've already did my work on the day it was sent." He flexes, crossing his arms on the table.

I smile.

"Wow, Mr Organised has already done his homework, what a surprise." I mocked. Jake snorts.

"Shut up."

A sweet silence fills the air. It was merely a couple days after the whole admitting our feelings shit and for some reason there was this slight awkwardness between us as we both were too embarrassed of our feelings to say or do anything these past few days.

"Wanna grab something to eat?" I asked quietly, with an innocent look.

"Are you asking me on a date?" Jake suggests, with a grin. When did Jake become so forward? Flustered, I nodded, as both of us stand up and leave the place, waving at Florence as we did so. She waves back before winking at me and pulling a thumbs up. Jake laughs nervously, glancing at me. I shrug, my face burning.

I cleared my throat.

"There's this place down the road that's fucking amazing, we should go there....how about now?" I say.

"Yeah it's the place we used to always go."

"Until Tana happened." I say, gagging. Jake smiles, shaking his head.

"Tana was a good thing. I finally wasn't the one being jealous whenever you messed around with girls. And it was quite entertaining." Jake explains with a chuckle. I narrow my eyes, remembering how I crashed their date night with a vodka bottle, threatening to slit her throat with it and drink her blood. Jake was quite perturbed while Tana was just as vicious, pissed off that I always interrupted them whenever they were having a good time, then threatening to do the same, even worse to me.

Quite a harrowing experience if I do say so myself especially as Jake didn't speak to me for days.

Perhaps our profound hatred for each other was exactly the kind of thing Tana Linden got off on. Made sense considering we slept together couple weeks after her breakup with Jake.

"You were so stupid, Dylan." Jake says. I rolled my eyes playfully as we headed to the diner. We enter into to the bright red and green interior with happy music playing, a waiter greets us with a smile.

"Can we have a private booth please?" I asked. He nods, taking us to an empty booth and handing us our menus.

We stare at the menus, well, I was staring at Jake. He was just so handsome that it was quite distracting.

"Stop staring." He commands his eyes still focused on the menu. I snort, glance at table where Jake's elbow was placed.

"You know you love it." I whisper, before sneakily taking his hand. He pulls away. I frown.

"Why can't I hold your hand!" I whine. Jake gives me a look.

"You're being awfully loud for someone who's still in the closet." Jake mumbles.

"Please, people could just assume that I was talking to a sexy girl who was playing hard to get and wouldn't know that it happened to be a sexy and hard to get boy." I wiggled my eyebrows. Jake rolls his eyes with a smirk.

"Yeah, right what about that waiter—"

"What would you like to order?" We both crane our heads to the waiter who just happened to stand next to our booth table.

I clear my throat whilst Jake puts his menu down.

"We would like a 12" pepperoni pizza for me, lasagne with mac and cheese for the gentleman and two strawberry lemonades" I say, with a grin. Jake glances at me, probably surprised that I still remembered his order.

The waiter nods before walking away.

"How did you know if I was gonna get that or not?"

"It's your favourite dish." I shrug, nonchalantly.

Jake smiles enticingly and as I leaned on my arm gazing smitten towards him, I realise that as much as it was impossible to fall deeper for this man that I already have, I did.