C H A P T E R 16

I decided to wear a jacket ontop of my outfit because it was alittle too tight for my liking. Ahmed gives me a weird look as I button my jacket all the way. 

"Why are you being like this" He asks, his eyes filled with hurt. I finally got to see what he was wearing, a designer shirwani that wrapped his muscles perfectly. 

"What do you mean?" I ask innocently. He lets out a sigh and looks the other way. 

"You keep giving me mixed signals. You want me to sleep in the same room with you, but you act all weird when we're alone at this party together. I'm not a perv you know" 

"Actually, I don't know. You might be a total perv with weird kinks! I don't know you at all. And the fact that we're actually getting engaged tonight is absolutely crazy!" I yell as tears start to stream down my face. I look up to see him fed up with my emotions. 

"Alright then, we're not getting engaged tonight" he states and walks out of the room, slamming it shut after him. 

Thank god. 

After fixing my makeup, I decided to go down to the party and see what Ahmed has told everyone. They'll probably be upset, but I'll have to reassure everyone that I'm okay with being "dumped" by him. As I walk towards the living room, I see all my uncles talking to a short man in a thobe.

"Imam, Jazakallah for coming on such short notice!" Ahmed's dad tells the short man. Okay...Maybe thats his friend or something. 

"Of course! A nikkah is a joyous occasion, seeing two families come together is a blessing" the Imam replies. A Nikkah?? I'm sorry what. 

I start searching for Ahmed in all the rooms but I can't find him. I see his friends in the backyard and head toward them. 

"Ali! Have you seen Ahmed??" I ask quickly

"Yeah, his uncles took him for some ceremonies before the nikkah." My eyes widen as I realize that the nikkah is happening, and Ahmed is not doing anything to stop it. Right then, my mom came and grabbed my arm. She took off my jacket and made me sit on a beautiful bench with flowers on it. She then put a red veil over my head and squeezed my hand. I had no words. 

"Look down, act shy!" one of my aunts said while she laughed. I could see from my peripheral vision that Ahmed is sitting across from me, with his dad and uncles. The Imam starts reading a speech about marriage and my dad comes over to my side after the imam instructs him to do so. 

"Beta, do you accept this proposal?" He asks me, eyes filled with hope. I can't say no, it'll crush everyone. My parents, Ahmed's dad. I look at my dad, and then look across to meet Ahmed's eyes. 

"I do" I say firmly, and his eyes widen. 

I am going to make his life a living hell.