Gwaine's Game

Gwaine's games never went well, for the tavern-loving drunk always forgot the important detail that it never ended well for those playing.  This time was no different.

It was yet another hunting trip for the Knights of Camelot, because they always went so well and never had any issues.  At this point, dusk was setting upon the faithful friends and the trusty manservant was cooking some hares and some stew, both of which he would most likely only get a taste of. 

"Come on, let's play a game!" the ever enthused Gwaine said with some collective groans as a response, last time Gwaine did this he lost his apple privileges for a week.

"It's called truth or dare, you ask anyone you wish their choice and create a prompt off of that they must fulfill.  Please, we have all night of boredom!"  Gwaine then gave Percival the saddest look that could be mustered and Percival just had to give in.  The rest soon followed suit.

"I'll start and we'll go to the left, so Leon, truth or dare?"  Gwaine questioned with a glint in his eyes.

"Truth."

"Have you ever cross-dressed if so expalin?"  At this Leon's face immediately turned red. 

"Yes." He stammered, as Gwaine was laughing and nearly tipping over the back of the log he sat on. "Gwen had the brilliant idea that in order to escape the dungeons I should dress as a woman to avoid unwanted attention.  It worked, but I still have no idea how I fit into one of Morgana's old dresses."  The poor knight was so embarrassed  as everyone tried and failed to hold in their laughter.

"Alright, alright, truth or dare Merlin?"  Leon's asked when the laughter finally subsided.

"Truth."  Even though Merlin knew this was a bad answer it was better than a ridiculous dare concocted as revenge for laughing.

"What is the worse scar you have and who or what caused it?"  Leon was genuinely curious, but he wasn't expecting Merlin's response.

"Fireball."  Merlin said looking down, trying not to look anyone in the eyes, he knew where this would lead and he couldn't avoid it.

The knights were a bit shocked, they were expecting a sword or an accidental injury like falling down the stairs.  They had all seen Merlin do that on more than one occasion.

After collecting himself Arthur asked calmly, "How?  When did this happen?"  Arthur was at a loss, the concern for Merlin was well known let alone the fact that somehow Merlin, the scrawniest and lankiest man there, had survived a fireball.

Merlin eventually look Arthur in the eyes, "Do you remember a few years ago when you were injured by the Questing Beast?"

"Yes, but what does that have to do with a fireball, I was bitten?"  The other knights were equally confused, they knew the story and that Arthur should have died but he miraculously recovered. 

Merlin looked down once more, trying to find the words he should say, "I need you all to agree that what I tell you all stays here in the forest, in turn I'll tell you what actually happened.  But I need you individual words that you will still trust me."

"Of course, why wouldn't we, you are our friend Merlin."  Even though Arthur said it, the collective answer remained the same, they had given their words and Merlin hoped they were true.

"Yes, you were given a fatal bite by the Questing Beast, for which there is no cure..." 

Before Merlin could continue Arthur asked, "Then how am I alive?"  The other knights were equally confused, because Arthur was very much alive and very much sitting with them around the fire.