The Keeper of the Keys

Ed's POV

In all honesty, I wasn't sure what to think of this new place. It was nothing like what we had at home. Beside the magic and no equivalent exchange, the people were dressed weird, the architecture over the top, and the people huge. I looked up sheepishly at the large man who I had been sat next to; he was bigger than both the major and Sig.

"The names Hagrid," the gigantic man greeted, a large smile almost hidden by the mass of facial hair on his face. "I'm the professor 'o Care 'o Magical Creatures and the Keeper 'o Keys and Grounds," he said, putting out a luge right hand. I reached out and shook the man's hand.

"Edward Elric," I greeted. "I guess I'm the alchemy professor," I said as the large man released my hand. This caused the huge man to laugh heartily. My eyebrows furrowed slightly in confusion. I didn't know what I said had been so funny. "So, if you're keeper of keys and the grounds, I suppose you have a map on you?" I asked hopefully, knowing I would get lost in this castle for at least the first week or so. And it was a magical castle. Who knew what secrets it could be hiding.

"Of course, lad!" he said happily. "Why don't you come down to me hut after you get something to eat; I can show you the grounds," he offered. I thanked him, telling him that would be great. I glanced back at the table, my eyes widening as there was now a plate full of food in front of me. It took me a moment to recover, but I finally returned my attention back to Hagrid. I didn't think I was going to get used to the whole magic thing.

I could feel eyes on me the entire time I ate. I could hear whispers, most including my name. I was quickly getting agitated. The only two people here that were treating me like the adult I was were Dumbledore and the behemoth of the man beside me. I quickly finished up my meal, wanting to get out of here as soon as possible, away from the prying eyes of the other staff members.

Part way through my meal I looked up to find Dumbledore was standing in front of the table, a smile on his face and a twinkle in his eyes. "It is so great to see all of you once again. As you know, students will arrive exactly a week from now and classes will start the day after," he said. "Let me know if any of you need anything," he said, but I felt the small speech was more for me than the other teachers. Albus then approached Hagrid and me. "Hagrid, would you show this young man to his room; I heard something about you showing him the grounds."

"O' course, professor!" Hagrid said joyfully. "I'll give him a small tour so 'h can get his bearin's," the large man said.

"Thank you, Hagrid, that would be wonderful. He has the empty classroom next to the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, and his bedroom is connected," he said, looking to me for the second part. Dumbledore had turned to leave, but turned around as if he had forgotten something. "If you want to, you can send home for a few pictures to use on your doorway." I frowned, not really sure what he was talking about, but that wasn't exactly what had caught my attention.

"Wait, you mean I can write home?" I asked, not entirely sure how that would work through the Gate. "It'll work with then..." I trailed off, not sure how much the other teachers knew about the Truth. The old headmaster smiled and nodded.

"Of course, I've had it all settled. Have Hagrid show you to Owlrey; you can use any of the school owls," he said. I only looked at him, eyes wide. "Now, I really must be going. There are a few things I must attend to before the start of the year. Thank you again, Edward," he said before finally turning and showing himself out of the Great Hall. I turned to Hagrid for an explanation.

"Owls?" I asked. I wasn't sure what else to say.

"O' course!" he said as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.