17. kiss somebody

"So, do you have a dress yet?" Sage asked as we laid on my bed, flipping through random fashion magazines left by Courtney

"So, do you have a dress yet?" Sage asked as we laid on my bed, flipping through random fashion magazines left by Courtney. While Sage seemed to be looking at the clothes, I was counting how many times I found one of my siblings modeling them.

"A dress to what?" I asked, finding another dress featured on Courtney. Typical.

"Nicholas's beach party. You know, that big thing tonight," Sage answered. I'm pretty sure my face alone gave away that I had no idea what she was talking about. "The Stanton family hosts it, you just met them didn't you? Nicholas's mother's parents?"

I nodded to answer her question.

"It's the last big party before the school year really kicks in and our parents have to go back to traveling each weekend," Sage continued. "I can't believe Nick didn't tell you."

I could believe it.

As if on cue, my phone rang from my bed stand and Nicholas's name popped up on the screen.

"Hello?"

"Brooke? Sorry this is so last minute but there's a thing tonight and—"

"Your family's beach party?" I cut him off.

"Yeah...How'd you know?"

"Don't worry about it, Sage filled me in," I responded. Although, if Sage hadn't told me, I'm not sure he would've had a date for the evening. I can't promise I would've said yes.

"So I'll pick you up at five then?" Nicholas asked a bit awkwardly. I nodded, then realized he couldn't see me and answered.

"Yeah, see you then," I said before hanging up. "I guess you were right, I need to find a dress."

Sage nodded while continuing to flip through her magazine.

"I don't think we'll have time to go shopping now, but let's look through your closet," Sage said getting up off the bed and making her way over to my walk in. "If worse comes to worse, we can always dig through your sister's closet as well."

Worse did come to worse and I ended in up in one of Courtney's old, skin tight, white dresses that she had left behind.

"Way out of fashion, but cute." Is what Sage called it when she pulled it out.

But apparently, getting ready for this party was a lot more work than for a normal party. Sage spent an hour picking out the right shoes and jewelry to match her dress, all while making sure I looked presentable enough as well.

"Now remember, you're wearing white, so don't eat or drink anything that you might spill and leave a stain," Sage reminded me while she was putting on her shoes just before five. I nodded in response. Just before she got through the elevator doors of the penthouse she turned back around for another reminder.

"It's tradition for us all to stay over after the party at the Williams's beach house. It's in Montauk too, so it's really close to the Stanton Mansion."