31. a crack in the façade

"Where's Nick?" Sage asked when she spotted me walking into the club alone

"Brooding at the house," I said angrily.

"Oh," Sage said, eyebrows furrowed.

"I tried to talk to him, but he just shot me down," I said quickly, not wanting to relive our previous conversation.

"I'm sorry, Brooke. He's not very good at—"

"I don't want to talk about it anymore," I said, shaking my head. "I just need a drink."

I spotted Nate sitting at the bar and made my way over in his direction. He was putting on his best charm for some bleach blonde model sitting next to him. If I wasn't in such a bad mood, I might've giggled at his antics.

"There you are, baby," I said, wrapping my arms around Nate from behind him and giving the blonde a sickly sweet smile. The girl looked between the two of us with disgust and quickly abandoned her seat.

"Ugh, Brooke. You are the worst," Nate said, but with a smile on his face as I took the seat previously occupied by the bleach blonde. "Just because you aren't getting any doesn't mean the rest of us can't. Or are you getting some?"

"Would I be sitting at the bar alone with you if I was?" I asked, signaling for the bartender.

"No I suppose not," Nate laughed and the bartender came back with my drink. "So, what happened at the house?"

"Nicholas was acting like an asshole," I said, rolling my eyes.

"Give him time," Nate said, looking at me sincerely. I didn't have a response I thought he would like, so I stayed silent.

After a few drinks, however, I was opening up to Nate a little more.

"What did I really think was going to happen if I just waltzed in there and told him I thought that I maybe liked him?" I question my actions. "I was just about to make a huge mistake. Nicholas really did me a favor by being an asshole."

"Maybe you should try again when the two of you aren't so angry," Nate offered.

"No. You know what I realized? I never liked him in the first place. I made it all up in my head. Yup, never liked him. Never liked his stupid face, or his stupidly perfect body, or his stupid smile. I don't even know what I was thinking."

"Normally, I would be all for this "playing the field and not settling down" attitude," Nate started. "But in this case I feel like I should warn you against jumping to conclusions so—"

"Great idea," I interrupted. "I'm going to find a guy to dance with, I'll see you later."

"Brooke," Nate tried calling out to me, but I kept walking.