24. something borrowed

From Nicholas's view from one of the high top tables at Adrianna Whittaker's wedding reception, he could see almost everything going on

From Nicholas's view from one of the high top tables at Adrianna Whittaker's wedding reception, he could see almost everything going on. From Brooke's drunk grandmother attempting to dance to her older sister, Courtney, arguing with the caterer about how to correctly serve stuffed mushrooms. He could also tell that the outdoor, fairy lights, extravagant reception decorations most definitely came from the mind of Robert's mother, Mrs. Van der Hoof. Nicholas didn't know that much about the two older Whittaker girls, but he knew enough to determine that the outdoor, fairy lights scene was much more Brooke's idea of a perfect wedding than theirs.

Not that he had been thinking about what Brooke would want for a wedding.

At the current moment, thinking about Brooke just irritated him more than anything. Up until a week ago, he had been almost excited to attend this event. Keyword: almost. That was until he had made the single dumbest decision of his life.

To willingly kiss Brooke Whittaker.

He had been scolding himself for the past week for having that lapse of judgement. No good had come from the last time they had kissed, and that was before they even recognized each other. Now Nicholas felt he had complicated things too much, and he had no idea what to say.

The hope that Brooke hadn't thought anything of it and had practically forgotten the whole incident was the only thing keeping him calm at the moment.

His issue with her now, was their last conversation.

Something about Kate just continually bothered Brooke and he couldn't figure out why she had to keep bringing up his ex in every conversation. He had said he was over her, wasn't that enough for Brooke.

Part of Nicholas was cursing himself for not just spitting out what he had been thinking and tell Brooke that he didn't love Kate anymore, but the other half of him was irritated at her for even bringing up the subject in the first place.

For God's sake, they weren't even dating for real, what did Brooke care how he felt.

"Ahh, the classic new girlfriend meets the ex-girlfriend," Nate teased, appearing next to Nicholas, his tux he had been wearing before now mysteriously gone, leaving him in just an untucked dress shirt and pants. Nicholas didn't have to think real hard to guess what had happened.

"Except in this case, the ex-girlfriend has known the new girlfriend for year and they already hate each other, regardless of Nick," Liam added on, showing up on Nicholas's other side. In a stark contrast to Nate, Liam's suit still looked picture perfect.

"What are you two talking about?" Nicholas asked, not understanding the conversation.

"Look on the other side of the fountain." Nate gestured across the lawn. Nicholas followed his gaze to find a horrifying sight: Brooke and Kate conversing. The thought that Nicholas had no idea what Kate was telling Brooke made his stomach flip.