36. the perfectly imperfect

"They bet on you?" Sage asked incredulously after I finished telling her about dinner the previous night

We were all seated in our regular chairs at PotHeads. Unfortunately, because there were now five of us here and only four chairs, someone had to share. Although, I didn't mind it a bit as I was currently perched on Nicholas's lap with one of his arms lazily wrapped around my waist.

"Oh don't act so innocent," Nate scoffed, taking a sip of his coffee. "You bet on them too."

"What are you talking about?" Sage asked, though if the deep blush that had appeared on her cheeks wasn't a dead giveaway, the glare she sent directed towards Nate was.

"I had to pay for your entire shopping spree at Neiman Marcus last month because you won," Nate continued to out Sage. The rest of our eyes following their argument like a ping pong match.

"You bet on us too?" Nicholas asked, eyes filled with amusement. I found the whole betting situation a bit annoying but Nicholas obviously found it charming.

"At least I was closer than these two idiots," Sage muttered into her coffee cup.

"What did you guess?" I asked curiously.

"I said ten weeks," Sage admitted, still clearly ashamed with herself for participating in this scheme—even though she won.

"I thought it would be four months," Liam confessed.

I raised my eyebrows in response as Nicholas furrowed his.

"I don't know how the two of you can be shocked by that," Liam said, throwing up his arms in defense. "The way you two used to act, it was a miracle we're all sitting here today in one piece."

"Fair enough," Nicholas responded.

When Nate stayed quiet, Nicholas prompted him. "And what did you guess?"

"Two weeks," Nate said, shrugging with a sheepish expression on his face.

"Two weeks?" Nicholas and I said at the same time, eyebrows raised high in judgement.

"I thought for sure it was going to happen when we went to Montauk for the party," Nate admitted. "Thats why I pushed so hard for us to stay overnight. I thought if I could get you two to sleep in the same house without your idiot exes..."

"Clearly you were wrong," Nicholas said as I leaned back into his chest. He responded by tightening his grasp on my waist.

"Thanks for rubbing it in," Nate said. "After blowing five hundred dollars on a single dress for this one, I'm very much aware of that."

"Speaking of exes," Sage muttered, finishing off her coffee. "I like you two together so much more than Nicholas and Kate."

"Umm, thanks," I said. I sure hope they'd say they like me and Nicholas better than Nicholas and Kate. But I didn't particularly want the conversation to head in the direction of bashing Kate behind her back—especially given her half apology she had given to me the other week.