22. something old

I always loved weddings

I always loved weddings. Anything about weddings. Cakes, dresses, wedding shows. So why I was hiding out outside of the room only peaking through the door was beyond me. It was decorated exactly how I would've pictured Adrianna's wedding shower. Everything was white from the floors to the flowers and everything in between. From what I could see from behind the cracked door, the circular room allowed for everyone and everything to be visible at any point in the room.

I looked around, taking in the scene and watching my entire family greet each other with hugs and kisses on the cheek. I looked around further until I found a figure that caught my eye.

"Kate's here."

"I know, she's an Abbott," Adrianna responded, looking absolutely majestic in her short, white, lace dress. Courtney must've done her hair. It was braided into a crown on the top of her head and she looked angelic. It didn't help that she was positively glowing from happiness. I couldn't help but feel jealous.

"So?" I responded, not understanding why the girl hell-bent on making my life miserable had to be invited.

"So, Court just got engaged to her brother, so play nice. You know how these things work, all the big families get together to celebrate...friends or not. Just wait until you and Nicholas get engaged, then you'll have to do the same thing."

"We're not getting engaged," I said a little too quickly and I think Adrianna must've caught onto that.

"Oh, what then? You're going to get back together with Ben?" I had nothing to say to that. Of course I wasn't going to get back with Ben. I had thought, when this whole mess started with Nick, that Ben was probably the lesser of two evils. But I'm starting to realize now that I may have been wrong. Lately he was appearing just as cunning and manipulative as Kate.

"Something's changed," Adrianna observed, while still peaking through the crack of the door, probably looking for Robbie.

"What are you talking about?"

"With you and Nicholas. Something's different." I could've sworn at that moment my sister could read all of my thoughts.

"Pretty sure I still hate him just the same," I replied, though I'm pretty sure I don't hate him just as much as I used to. Maybe just a little less.

"Yeah, but you don't wince every time I say his name now," Adrianna said quickly before retreating into the room.

I prayed no one saw me through the crack in the door when she opened it, I wasn't ready to go in yet. Adrianna couldn't be right. Nothing had changed. Maybe I didn't hate him quite as much as I used to, but all the same, we would never get along the way she and Robbie do.

"What are you doing out here?" A masculine, and all too familiar voice from behind made me jump.

"Nicholas, you scared me," I said my heart speeding up a bit. From the scare.