42. if happily ever after did exist ...

Two weeks after Nate's birthday found me once again in the company of a Prescott

Two weeks after Nate's birthday found me once again in the company of a Prescott. Only this time, it was his mother.

As much as I searched to find a way out of modeling for Mrs. Prescott, there was none. Months ago, I had signed a contract. God, I hated that word.

On the bright side, I was wearing gorgeous clothing from Sophia Prescott's new line and staying in Paris for the week. On the downside, everyone was staying in Paris.

Word must not've reached Mrs. Prescott yet of Nicholas's and my breakup because when we had first gotten to the hotel, we had had to do a reshuffle of rooms so that I was staying with Sage instead of Nicholas.

"Are you sure you can't find a way to book a flight and come out to Paris?" I whined through the phone to Kate. I had a small break this afternoon from shoots and how was I spending it? Locked up in my hotel room, laying on my bed, and complaining over the phone.

"Positive, sorry," she responded. "Besides, I know where I'm not wanted."

"Who wouldn't want you here?" I said, begging her to get on a plane. Though, I knew exactly who didn't want her here.

"Brooke, everyone," Kate said flatly. "Sage and Liam are only nice enough to me because neither of them has a bad bone in their body but deep down they don't like me a whole lot. And Nate and Nick, well, I don't think I have to explain that one."

That wasn't entirely true. I had remembered what Nicholas told me about Nate's sudden switch to hating Kate but I'd never worked up the nerve to ask Nate about it. I had once asked Kate about it and she had given me a very vague answer. Giving me the basics, but nothing more. But that's not my story to tell.

"Ugh, fine. Leave me here alone," I said dramatically, but with a smile.

Kate laughed before saying goodbye and hanging up the phone.

"Who was that?" Sage asked from her bed on the other side of the room.

"Kate," I muttered.

"I will never understand how the two of you became friends, but at least that's one less feud going on," she said, giving me a pointed look.

I pretended like I didn't know what she was talking about. It was easier that way.