2.3 𝙥𝙖𝙧𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙖𝙡 𝙜𝙪𝙞𝙙𝙖𝙣𝙘𝙚

Y/N'S P

Y/N'S P.O.V
August 5th, 1963
Waking up in the middle of the night sweating again was starting to get really annoying. My grey tank top was now drenched with sweat and was sticking onto my skin. I sighed and got off my bed, leaving my room. I went downstairs to see the kitchen light on. Entering the kitchen, I saw my mom sitting grabbing a cup of water. "Ma."

Slightly startled by my voice, she turned around and looked at me. "Oh honey, you startled me. What are you doing up?" I went to the cupboards and grabbed a cup, filling it up with water. "I'm thirsty, just like you." She gave me a small smile. "Yeah. I couldn't sleep well. I've been having a couple of old memories."

I looked at mom and saw her eyes were puffy and red. She's been crying. "Memories about dad." I stated as she nodded. "I found one of his old shirts and it still smells like him a-and... and..." Her voice began cracking. "...Oh god honey, I miss him so much." She broke down, taking a seat in one of the chairs. I quickly set my water down and embraced my mom in a hug. "I miss him too mama." It hurt so much to hear her cry. I wanted to cry but I knew I couldn't, not right now when I need to be the comforter. "And I'm sure he misses us."

"I said that after we move to our new house, we'll start fresh, that I'll be able to forget this pain, that we'll be able to leave all the bad stuff there, but I can't. It's been almost six months and I still can't." I pulled away from the hug and looked at my mom. "Mom, you can't forget the memories we shared with papa and we shouldn't because those memories aren't bad. We said we'd leave the pain and the bad things and we did leave them, but papa isn't the pain and his memories aren't either. Those memories are happiness and love, not pain." She looked at me with a wide smile in her face, as I wiped the tears away.

"You always had a way with words, just like your father." She sniffles and hugged me. "I love you so much honey." I hugged her back. "I love you too mama. And if you ever need to talk about dad, I'm here."

We let go and that's when my mom noticed the sweat covering my body. "Honey. You're sweating a lot." She looked worried. "Huh? Oh uh... yeah. It's been really hot." She looked at me skeptical about my answer. "Are you sure? Because you're also extremely pale." She put a hand on my forehead to check my temperature but I backed away from her. "I'm just really hot, mom. I'm fine though, so don't worry."

"Okay. I was just afraid you were sick or worse." I knew exactly what she meant by worse, and hopefully it's just a cold and it's not worse. I drank my water and sat down with mom. "You're starting high school today. You excited?" I thought for a moment before deciding to answer, "Well I don't really know. I'm nervous for what's to come." I brought my legs to my chest as I began scratching them. "Like what if I do something stupid and mess up? What if no one likes me? What if-"

"What if everything goes well." My mom said as she grabbed my hands, refraining me from continuing my destructive habit. "Y/n, you stress to much, sometimes you just gotta shake off that stress. Instead of thinking about the negative what-ifs, how about you think about positives how-cans. Like how can I turn my school year into a great year?"