six

I hate walking. Especially in the rain. I dragged my boot against the mud trail. A thick line was created, making a small, but slightly deep dip. One of Mr. Sassy-English-Man's men tripped against the tiny trench. Mick let out a stiff laugh and I continued to drag my foot. I could practically hear my father scold me, 'Natalia Wendy Agnes! You are ruining your boots! I do not work 58 hours a week to constantly pay for new shoes for you! Now, go be a dear and fetch me an ale.'

Mick bit into some sort of snack, "I'm going to find that skinny little Englishman and strangle him to death."

"Ditto." I blankly added.

"Your tiny hands wouldn't be able to even go all the way around his throat." Mick pointed out and I stuck my tongue out at him. He gestured towards Washington, "You take the front, I'll take the rear."

"If we face them now, they will surely kill us, Private." Washington said matter-of-factly.

"They're gonna kill us anyway." Mick shrugged.

I rolled my eyes, "If they wanted us dead they would have shot us like they did Sara."

"Agreed. When we reach camp, I will talk to their commanding officer and arrange a prisoner exchange. There are rules to war." Washington told us confidently. I however, knew his plan wasn't going to work. The British saw them as rebels, not as another country.

Mick grunted, "Yeah, kill or be killed."

"British command will treat us honorably, just as I treat prisoners with honor." Washington stated.

I chuckled, "You can't actually believe that, can you?"

Mick nodded his head, "Now I know why Franklin's on the $100 bill. We bet a 100 yous you're wrong."

"Excuse me?" I could tell Washington was very confused at this point.

I gave Mick a hard disapproving stare.

"Oh, forget it." He scoffed, "I hate Christmas!"

We continued our annoying tread through the woods until we halted at a camp. Then, a group of men swaggered towards us.

"General Washington, as I live and breathe." The man said in the middle said.

"Lieutenant General Cornwallis. I would have preferred to meet you on the field of battle." Washington spoke.

"I must give credit where credit is due. I have a new colonel who is most impressive. One may say he is ahead of his time." Cornwallis bragged. I knew who he was speaking of, Rip.

"If you two are done yapping, I would like my last meal." Mick interrupted the two Generals.

"Take these three to my tent, and have them well fed. You'll be hung in the morning." Cornwallis said.

"I am an officer in the Continental Army, sir. You must treat me as a prisoner of war in a manner that is befitting of my rank." Washington tried to intimidate Cornwallis, but in all failed.

"This is not a war. This is a rebellion. And you will be hanged for treason against King George III." Cornwallis replied. The soldiers stared to take us away when Washington shouted.

"Wait! You mustn't punish him or the child. This man is only guilty of following orders. The crime the child committed would be being in the wrong place at the wrong time." Washington protested against Mick and I's execution.

"We're guilty for a lot more than that!" Mick laughed.

"He will be returned to his regimen tomorrow, with news of your death. As for the child, we have other plans for her. Our colonel want's to speak with her alone." Cornwallis snarled his ugly teeth and then we were taken towards his tent. It was fairly large compared to the other tents.  Four guards stood outside the door just waiting for us to make the wrong move.

"When they change shifts, I'm busting us out of here." Mick said while staring out the lent flaps. God I hate the word flaps. It's weird is all.

Washington scoffed, "Are you really so anxious to die? I argued for you and your daughter's lives, Mr. Rory."

"That's why I'm taking you with me." Mick retaliated.

"I'd rather die a gentleman then return to Mount Vernon a scoundrel. I trust that I may depend on you to deliver this to my wife, Martha?" Washington asked Mick, "Consider it a last request."

Mick turned to Washington and sighed, "Listen, you fop. You can give it to her yourself. Or are you to much of a pansy?"

The general seemed offended, "I've been a soldier since I was 20 years old, but our cause is the cause of all men: to be treated equally, regardless of hereditary privilege. We must prove to the world that you don't need a title to be a gentleman. The British may be dishonorable, but I am not. By my death, I will prove to the crown what it means to be an American."

Mick and I spoke at the same time, mine being closer to a whisper, "You don't know the first thing about being American."

"We're misfits, outcasts, and we're proud of it. If they attack in formation, we pop them off from the trees. If they challenge you to a duel, you raid their camp at night. And if they're gonna hang you, you fight dirty and you never, ever give up. That's the American way. What's it gonna be George?" Mick said. Honestly, I was shocked. Proud, even. He just went up 2 points on my legends scale. Now the list stood from worst to best, Ray, Martin, Amaya, Sara, Nate, Jax, Mick, and finally, in the number one spot, that rat that keeps using Ray's room as a litter box.

"Well, we surely can't attack with the child under our wing can we?" Washington said.

I took a leg off a near by chair and swung it in the air, "I can handle myself."

"Nope. For once I agree with the man." Mick grunted. That's it. -3 points for not backing me up. "If you die on my watch, Sara, if she's even still alive, is going to toss me in the swirly green stuff herself. Plus your like what, 14? I doubt you have actual value to the Brits."

I slightly scoffed, "Almost 15, actually. Tomorrow." I whispered that last bit.

"Mazel tov." He grunted. Then he told the General his plan.

End of scene six.