Making A Way

Chapter Fifteen

Catherine

I lift the rod and whack the ridiculous man on his back- specifically, for if it were his head, he would have died on the spot; the back isn't very safe either, but that can't be helped (besides, I didn't hit too hard).

I wait for a few seconds, hoping Peter understands my reason, but he is caught tight in Ester's try at a trap. Not able to hold it back any longer, I draw in a breath and slap him hard across his right cheek.

Just like I assumed, he realizes his mistake as soon as my hand leaves his face and sealing the topic with a solitary nod of appreciation, we turn back to the step-father.

Collectively, we heave and puff and drag Ester down the stairs and into the car like two dying hippopotamuses' carrying a dead one. On our way, we pass the ridiculous receptionist girl, her feet now on the floor and her fingers tapping nervously on the desk in front of her, attentive. She doesn't say a word about the paralyzed body we are carrying. Must have been a peculiar day for her today...

The journey back to Peter's house is sensibly silent.

-

6:50pm

It is too risky taking Ester to a hospital- Igetis' spies must have already noted their God of our visit. The blow was not too hard, so I expect him to wake up anytime now. Mom and Dad are seated patiently, continuing their indistinct chatter.

Peter is pacing up and down the hall, his hands locked behind him and his eyes continuously switching behind a knowing green and a questioningly yellow. I continue munching pieces of raw cereal from the bowl in front of me.

Ester is tied up safely and leaning against the feet of some chairs a little further away from us. Peter stops abruptly in the middle of his walk and glances up, a shocking turquoise emitting from his pupils.

"What is it?" I ask him.

He comes up to join us at the table and sits down excitedly. "I've got it," he says hurriedly, "I know how to figure out where they've settled down."

"And how might that be?"

"Well, Max has telepathy. And Ester here has another talent. Many times, a member with unfortunate physical features," he gestures naughtily to Ester's enormous stomach. "Is given, instead of one mental and one active power, two powers that derive from the brain."

At this point, an unruly sound from where Ester lumps around interrupts Peter. He grins and then turns to Ester, "I see you've woken up, why not grab a chair and join us too?"

Ester, now aware that he can't continue playing Sleep anymore gets up unenthusiastically and seats himself down on a seat furthest away from me, his hands tied in front of him, only a little bit loose. I smile into my bowl.

Peter doesn't wait for introductions, and immediately turns to Ester and asks him, "So, step-father, what's your second ability?"

Surprisingly, Ester answers truthfully, "Yeah okay boy, I can contact Max."

"Telepathy and hypnotism- I am surprised!"

"Yeah well, don't be boy. Though I might be a little rusty."

"How long does it take?" Peter asks, ignoring his comment.

"To connect? Hardly a few seconds."

"Perfect. I'm going to write down exactly what you need to tell him, okay?"

"Yeah, okay boy, I get it." He stops. "But I'm gonna have to stay here now, Igetis ain't going to be happy about this."

"Well so are neither of us, so Igetis will have to get used to it."

Ester grunts and as I turn to Peter, I manage to catch a look of remorse than runs away as quickly as it appears. He really feels bad about leaving him at that dump...

I pull myself out of my thoughts as Peter hands over a torn sheet from his school book to Ester. "Here."

Ester puffs in a breath of air and takes it in his hands, "Okay then, boy."

He reads the note and places it back on the tabletop. Then, he pulls his wrists up to us, signaling us to untie him, and we do so. A silent stare spreads over the house. A look of serene-ness appears on Ester's wrinkly, creased face.

My breath stays stuck inside my throat; as does everyone else's. My parents look desperate, leaning a little onto the table, resting on their elbows. Peter stands patiently beside his step-father.

I continue trying to chew the crunchy flakes on my spoon but in a less crunchy way. We stand still like that- like statues- for a few minutes, and just as I open my mouth, starting to doubt Ester's abilities, Peter raises his hand slightly, asking me to wait, just another second. I pout and do so.

Another three minutes pass. Wait. He knows what he's doing. Another moment. He had better know what he's doing. And then, Ester opens his eyes, a scary look swimming in them, a far, far, away look; I shake my head in disbelief.

"Get me a map." He commands.

To which Peter finally speaks up, "how do we know you're not lying and that this entire episode was some nonsensical drama?"

Ester sighs, as if bored with this entire thing, "because I'm coming with you two."

"Two?" Mom asks worriedly.

"Not now, mom, please?" And for the first time she listens to me, nodding her question away.

Peter places a large map on the table. "Go ahead."

Ester takes a marker from his hand and starts muttering to himself while simultaneously making some road markings and then a long black path.

He looks up in the middle of his work, "Max gave me the answer in riddles, they were imprisoned- like you guys might have guessed already- and giving their exact location without hiding it would not be safe. I might need some paper." Peter acknowledges his request.

"What are the riddles?" he asks, peering over Ester's shoulder, "maybe the rest of us can help you with solving them?"

"No, no," he mumbles, "these riddles are different." I lean forward to protest but as I notice the little scribbles and figures he is making on the sheet, I leave it be and continue crunching my cereal.

After some more of the scribbling and whispering, Ester manages to extend the single black line on the map, leading it deep into the forests, and then, making it come to a stop, where he finally makes a huge circle. Satisfied, he leans back onto the chair. He places his hands on the back of his head and says to us, smiling, "Well, where have you two decided to get your ammunitions from? I know a guy."

"Catherine, honey, your father and I are not going to allow you to go with them, you know that right? I mean, guns and bullets, why don't you guys buy a coffin too?"

"Mom," I stay sternly, "this is our plan, I'm not going to ditch them."

"Mrs. Davis, don't worry, I'll take care of her." Peter says, coming over to me.

Mom still looks unconvinced.

"Well boys, we ain't got much time now, so we leave tomorrow morning, yes? Before dawn?" Ester asks, "Max has shown me the way to the prisons. Peter, you and the girl go there. I'll distract them soldiers on guard."

Peter spoke up, "No, Ester, we're not leaving you alone. It's too risky."

Unfortunately, we have to because Mom and Dad refuse to let me go without Peter by my side.

Once finished discussing this, the party dissolves; my parents give me a 'talk', Peter starts searching for the sharpest knives to carry, and Ester calls up his 'pal' for stuff I didn't know you could buy at this rate.