What's Wrong With Her?

Chapter Nineteen

Peter

I notice her wandering eyes, her tired face, the droplets of sweat accumulating on her forehead- but it's probably just because of the workout we did this morning. I ignore it for the time being and turn to the next person, Albert, who has taken his place in the center of the room.

This group is becoming stronger than I had expected it to be at first, even Igetis's protection team that had settled down posing as a fence around my house seem to be genuine.

The only thing that troubles me is the night; when my worries come alive, my nightmares take over my brain and my eyes and envelope my body, overtake my senses. Sometimes, I wake up with tears streaming down my cheeks, my head resting on Ester's lap, his hand stroking my hair.

Times like this make me think about everything he used to do, his lashes- both physical and verbal- and my thoughts fly over to his true personality, behind a mask- or is the mask? Is this the man my mom fell in love with?

There are no words either of us can exchange during this time, and I know he hasn't told anyone about these episodes except perhaps William, who's ears are as reliable as mine and has probably already heard me sniffling away.

The days pass slowly: five, ten, twelve, and a swell of pride washes over my body every time I think of how well we are pulling this together- the planning, training, the ideas- everything.

Thud. I blink hurriedly, trying to get back into reality. Catherine is fallen on the floor, the rest of the guys surrounding her, calling for water or checking her pulse. Kabir, a smart brown boy who I hadn't met before this, during our Oi Alloi times, now sits at her side, waving his hand over her face, then her heart.

According to the parts of this meeting I was actually paying attention to, he can heal the wounded and his powers come to very good use right now. I know I should get up and move over to her or at least get something to help her, but my position on the chair seems too comfortable to move from and I find myself deliberately stuck on it.

If anyone notices, they don't say anything.

-

Catherine wakes up as soon as Kabir fixes her and we carry her to the room to lay down for some time. We settle down once more, eager to continue our displays, Albert finally returning to the spotlight. I feel guilty about not tending to her, but brush the thought away. I'll try figuring out what happened as soon as Albert finishes.

Albert once again takes his stance in the middle and looks up to see us all. His eyes are shining, and it looks like, for that moment, he is transported back to his youth, a soulful, child-like grin lighting up his face. He then says excitedly, "Well, y'all know my first one- reading minds. Would a demonstration be needed?"

"No, Albert, go ahead. Though don't mind me saying, you look rather enthusiastic, is it a fancy power?" I ask him casually. A few Oi Alloin members are gifted newer powers, basically ones that no one has ever held host to before, and these powers are termed "fancy".

"Oh boy, ooh, my second power. Now, now, I know I haven't used it for some time but, oh my are y'all are gonna be shocked!"

"Go on then, don't leave us hanging." someone says from the other side of the circle. Albert nods and then positions his right foot in front of his left, in somewhat of a half- side way, half-front stance, balls his hand up in a fist, putting them both on either of his sides. He breaths in calmly. His face is sewed into concentration and then whispers, "but that's exactly what I plan on doing."