Tomorrow

Chapter Thirty-three

Peter

We eventually tear apart and retreat back to our tents. And as I enter the tent, Max is in front of me, sitting silently on his bed. He glances up at me when I enter.

"Tomorrow we fight." He says robotically. I know he means to say he's upset because I stayed up this late on this night.

"I know, mom." I reply sarcastically, but soft.

He sighs. "I don't mind you spending time with her, genius, I'm like your biggest shipper." There's another reason for him to be in this state of despair but we don't address it. "

You didn't give it to her." He asks, after a while.

"Didn't give her what?" I frown.

"The necklace." He replies, nodding towards my enclosed fist, the string of it still hanging out. It's only then that I realize the beak of the bird pecking into my hand, creating a red mark.

"I forgot it was there."

He doesn't say anything; just smirks, thinking something very wrong and very rude and absolutely not correct. "So, what are you leaving for me when you die?"

"Hmm... Probably my signed baseball cap and I guess you could have my guitar."

"You annoying overachiever." He says, trying to sound rough, but his voice cracks. I ignore it for his sake. "I'm going to miss you, you know. You're my best friend."

"Yeah well, you're my only friend, you moron." I say to him, smiling. I walk over to join him on his bed. Almost as soon as I touch the sheets he says, "I can't believe you're going to die."

"We're all going to die one day. Max." He looks away.

"Goodnight." I say to him, taking off my shirt and getting onto my wooden bed. I wait for him to reply. "Max?"

"Goodnight, Peter." He says softly. I turn over to the other side of my tent, pulling my blanket towards me. I shiver as it touches my bare skin.

Closing my eyes, I let sleep pull me into their arms.