9 - Memory

Something soft rubs my arm, slowly bringing me out of my dreamless sleep. My head lulls around out of the awkward position I had fallen asleep in the hospital chair. A yawn slips out of my mouth as I flutter my eyes open. The bright, florescent lights in the hospital blind me for a few seconds. My eyes focus on the two people standing in front of me. Mrs. McCall and Scott are standing there with sad smiles on their faces. 

        I run a hand through my hair, knowing full well that it is some kind of mess. I've been in this chair ever since Isaac was placed in a room after his surgery. They refuse to tell me anything, except that his surgery had no complications. Apparently, only family is able to know personal information about Isaac's wellbeing. 

        Sometime before I had fallen asleep, Scott had come to talk to me, explaining everything that was going on with Stiles. Scott believes that the Oni are after the dark spirit that seems to be possessing Stiles. That's why Stiles was the one that wrote that message to Barrow to kill Kira. That's why Stiles is the one that did this to Isaac. A dark spirit has taken control of my best friend.

        A nogistune.

        "Anything on Stiles?" I ask, worried. 

        Scott sadly shakes his head. "Nothing yet."

        I sink down in the chair. 

        "Have you been here all night?" Mrs. McCall sets her hand on my shoulder in a comforting manner. 

        I nod, climbing to my feet. Joints pop in my body as I stretch my limbs. "Yeah, they won't let me see him because I'm not family. I told them he doesn't have any." 

        "He's got us." Mrs. McCall glances at her son. She pulls out a card from the pocket of her jacket. "And, I've got a key card." Mrs. McCall motions with her hand for the two of us to follow her. The three of us sneak down the hallway to the room that Isaac is stationed in. She swipes her card in the card slot, the light flashing green. Opening the door, Mrs. McCall nods at us and says, "Be quick."

        I wander in the room first. Isaac is laying on a hospital bed with machines surrounding him. His heart monitor beats repeatedly next to his bed next to his IV. My feet come to a halt all on their own as I stare at Isaac's motionless body. Isaac is fast asleep, most likely from all of the medication he is on  and his body trying to heal itself. 

        Scott, being the good friend he is, grabs my hand and leads me towards Isaac's bed. My eyes never leave Isaac's face. Half of his face is covered in red and black three degree burns, along with his arms and neck. I slide my hand out of Scott's to grab Isaac's instead. His hand is ice cold. 

        "I thought he'd be healing by now." I whisper, confused. Isaac has never taken this long to heal as far as I know. 

        "So did I." Scott gently grabs Isaac's forearm.

        I study Scott's face, deciphering if he can feel how much pain Isaac is in. "How much pain is he in?"                

        "A lot." Scott admits, sadly. His hand gets a better hold on Isaac's forearm. Black veins show through Scott's hand and arm as he takes Isaac's pain away. Isaac sucks in a breath in his sleep, relieved. Scott gasps in the pain he feels.  "It won't heal him, but it helps with the pain." 

        I rub my thumb over the back of Isaac's hand. "Did Stiles really do this? I mean, this is Stiles we are talking about."

        "Whatever's controlling him did it. Whatever's inside him." 

        "Well, then how do we get whatever's inside of him the hell out of him?" I demand, hating the fact that Isaac is in so much pain and that my best friend is going crazy.