31.

"Kind of. Not everyone can telecommunicate like us. You have to be of royal blood to do such. Kassena and I were born from the king, Xavier was born from my fathers late brother, who held the throne before him. He's my cousin but still royal born. He's considered part of the old family by the people of the kingdom," Rune elaborates his connection to Xavier now, clarifying their bond for me.

     "Why'd you tell me he was just a friend of the family, then? Gosh, I would've treated him with way more respect, he's a prince," I can imagine my slight worry appearing on my face.

     "Well, he is a friend of the family. Nobody actually knows he is a prince, they just know the late king had children. Nobody knows who the children are though and he doesn't want to publicize that, so we call him a friend publicly. Few know who he really is," his thumb brushes over my finger nails as a small smile forms on his lips.

     "Does Carli?" I ask, a little hesitant for some reason.

     "Yes. After they married, he told her. She's kept the secret well. The girls don't know," he explains.

     "Then his parents didn't actually die a few months ago? Is this actually their house?" I ask, looking around for family pictures.

     "No, no. The people who took care of him after the king died lived here. He calls them his parents because they basically raised him and his siblings. They were really personal servants to the queen. She gave all the children to them when the kings health began to fail," he whispers, maybe feeling it taboo to speak of such conspiracy aloud.

     "What happened to the king?" The curiosity catches my tongue and forces its way out.

     "My father happened. He challenged my uncle and won," Rune raises an eyebrow in annoyance, making me not push the details of the matter.

     "So this induction ceremony, tell me more about it. Why would I get the telecommunication abilities like a royal born when I'm simply being inducted into the kingdom?" My eyes flash up to his, from my hand that he's been playing with.

     "Because we don't know how else to induct anyone from outside without promoting those abilities, and really, an outsider isn't inducted unless they're marrying a royal. Regular citizens aren't allowed to marry outsiders, but they can copulate so long as it's outside the kingdom. Royal marriage with an outsider doesn't happen often. The last time it did, was over three thousand years ago," he makes a face, a slightly raised eyebrow at how long that really was.

     "Hmm, that's a long time. Do you even have anyone who remembers how to perform the ceremony?" I watch his eyes flash to me with reassurance.

     "Only the king can induct a new member into the kingdom. Remember how I told you about our history books and how you'd love our historian?" A small twinkle shines in his eyes at the mention of one of my known favorite subjects. To his question, I nod. "Well, in there, we have a ceremony book that tells us exactly how to perform any ceremony ever performed in the kingdom. I'll simply just have to follow the guide on how to induct you. Then, one of our priests can marry us after," he smiles proudly.

     "I still can't believe you want to marry me, you weirdo," I laugh a little at his expression, a little with anxiety of the fact that I've been proposed to and he's serious about it.

     "Of course I want to marry you! Who wouldn't? You're anything and everything I want in the person I need in my life. I'll be the luckiest person alive to have you by my side," he gives me a sweet smile, making my cheeks instantly fire back up.