37.

By the next day, Rune had regained all his strength. He was finally able to move like he had before. By the third day, the spot that he'd been slashed in left a nicely healed scar and black scales when he'd transform each night. His father however, had only just began making noise again, eating again. I'd say he'd regained half of his strength but Rune said he needed him to walk, which didn't look like it'd happen for another week or so, per Julia's conclusion.

     "Today, I will address the people. Spread the word that there will be a televised announcement, all who would like to show up in person are welcomed. We will open up the castle gates and seat as many as possible outside. I'll announce from the Great Balcony at noon," Rune directs his servants and each of our friends at breakfast. It's currently six in the morning.

     "Do you really think it's a good idea to open up the gates for this type of announcement?" Kassenna asks, weary of the decision.

     "We need them to trust me," Rune nods immediately.

     "What if they don't like the news and decide to attack you?" Kassenna disputes a little at the idea. I kind of agree but I also see where Rune is coming from with the trust factor.

     "If they attack, then so be it. The people are above us, Kassenna. They choose who they want to look over them. If it is not me, then it will not be me," Rune continues eating his breakfast as if he didn't just say being attacked by his people was okay with him.

     "Perhaps we can have our own system of guards posted around to ensure this thing stays peaceful," Carli throws the suggestion out for everyone to ponder on.

     "That's a good idea. Do we have men to spare?" I ask Xavier.

     "More than enough, I'll get on top of that after this," Xavier nods and hurries to finish his meal.

     "I'll get Phinease to schedule with the news broadcaster," Kassenna finally settles.

     "I'll help dress up Vanessa," Carli offers her time as well.

     "Wait a second. Dress me up?" I raise my eyebrows at her devious little smile.

     "Yes, I will announce our engagement during this event," Rune agrees, his expression nearly matching Carli's.

     "Wouldn't there be a better time to announce that? You know, like when you're not announcing the death of another royal?" I grimace a little at that idea.

     "Gathering the public for an announcement is not as easy as you think, Ness," Kassenna shakes her head.

     "Especially with how last minute this one is. This will probably be our best chance at explaining everything to the people, all at once," Rune throws in his bargaining chip.

     "Does nobody see how this could be like a triple negative on our part? First we announce a royal death. Next, we announce that Rune is taking over. Then, we announce that he has some outsider dragon lady he wants to marry? Maybe they won't like this whole thing," I shrug a little.

     "I will go gather the men, if you'll excuse me," Xavier excuses himself, finished with his breakfast.

     "Babe, you don't know this, nor do I expect you to, but Rune is the people's beloved prince. There's not a soul in this kingdom that wouldn't want him to take over the crown. Adding an engagement on top of that announcement will only be a plus for everyone. They all love and trust him which means they'll all accept whoever he chooses to marry," Carli explains the majority of the public's view to me. This makes me feel a little better, knowing Carli walks among the public everyday usually. She would definitely know.