46.

"Lucas, what are you doing?" Rune asks, doubtful.

"Pledging my loyalty to my new king," Lucas bows again, drawing the attention of a few bystanders.

"Stop that. The results have not been announced yet. Any one of us could have won. And do not speak of your vote, it's dangerous," Rune scowls a little at the younger man as his eyes dart around suspiciously.

"Sorry, brother!" Lucas notices his brothers cautious expression and refrains from bowing again. "Celia has been talking about all her models and clients voting for her. I can't tell yet though, if she's threatened or bribed them into her vote. That may be something Honna can check for us," he scratches the back of his neck as he looks around.

"Anything of Jasper?" Rune asks, looking across the room.

"I haven't really heard anything yet but you know him, he's always quiet," Lucas shrugs as a woman approaches.

"Brother, do not think your engagement will grant you more votes than me. I have an entire fan base, what do you have?" The woman props a hand on her hip, giving Rune a mean smirk.

Her mini dress is probably the most unique in here as it's a magenta color, cinched down the middle, with black shoulder pad type things over the long sleeves and small jewels hanging from the edge of the shoulder pieces, sleeves, and bottom of the dress. The outfit is topped with a matching necklace and black simple heels, bringing attention to her long legs. Her hair sits in a shiny, black, high pony with sleek bangs crossing one side of her forehead, topped with a small crown that matches the necklace. She looks similar to Kassenna with the dark hair and tanned skin complexion. She must be the fashion designer.

"A reliable queen," Rune smirks a little before holding my hand up to his lips and placing a kiss on my fingers. "Vanessa, this is my sister, Celia. Celia, my fiancé, soon wife, Vanessa," Rune eyes his sister with a look of warning to which the woman's scowl only deepens.

"Pleasure to meet you. I've heard good things of your fashion line," I offer the obviously annoyed woman a smile. She flashes me a look of recognition but looks back to Rune pointedly.

"She's an outsider, nobody would vote for an outsider," she lets that sit on Runes shoulders before storming away like the fashion queen she is.

"Ahh, I thought first impressions were still important here?" I arc an eyebrow at Rune but he sighs, looking after her. Lucas laughs.

"Not with her," he laughs harder as we watch the woman approach Atlas with the same attitude.

•••

Eventually, after keeping our eyes on Atlas and warning the rest of our group about him, Honna arrives and I'm finally able to meet her. She's an older woman, her hair a long, light, bland shade of mulberry red, with an intense mix of grey. Her eyes are a nice, dark blue. She wears a black, long sleeve, maxi dress with a sort of off-shoulder look. The dress looks as if it's made of silk as it sways around her feet. She's shorter and visibly older but her skin is still tight and her eyes are still full of life.

"Vanessa, I've seen so much about you! Are you excited for the citizenship ceremony? You have every reason to be, trust me," she gives me a wink before pulling me into a hug. I'm a little taken back by the sudden friendliness, but hug her back nonetheless.

"Ah, yes, I can't wait," I reply as we pull away.

"May I?" She holds her hand out to me.

I look to Rune before placing my hand atop the older woman's. She circles her middle finger over the top of mine with her eyes closed before snapping them open and stopping all motion. She stares blankly at me, as if possessed.