Chapter 12 - Helplessness

AN: Hi everyone. I am glad to announce that the fic has gathered more than 10,000 views and 200 followers. As an author, I am glad about it and I really appreciate the support you folks have given to me and the fic.

Also, I have made it clear that I prefer to keep the author notes to the minimum and let the story talk. I find that some things that were explained between the lines were not clear to a few of the readers. So, I am elaborating them here a bit. So, bear with me. (If you don't want to, you can skip directly to the story. I won't mind it. Promise :-)

First - this is not an overpowered OC fic. If you expect the MC to learn multiple jutsus on the get-go and thrash people who have more experience than him easily, this is not the fic for you. Rather, if you want an MC to figure things out, earn his spurs, and try to help as many people as possible, then you can read on. Also, jutsus won't be taught to the MC willy ninny just because he is a Senju, because it would be unrealistic.

Second - the MC is very much human. Hence, he will be directed by his emotions more often than not. He is prejudiced, scared, always expecting something to go wrong even though he doesn't say it outright. And he is also only a seven-year-old who recognizes how powerless he is in the grand scheme of things. So, there is selfishness, a hunger for power and determination to not go out quite if the day ever came.

Third - while the MC is an adult in his mind, he has only the body of a seven-year-old. And seven-year-olds are not given that much credence in a war-torn world. And which adult wouldn't want to act as a child when given a second chance. And in a world like Naruto, where average childhood lasts only till ten, a person who knows the importance of childhoodwould not give it up easily. So, he frequently acts like a child. But, if you see his thought process it is more like an adult. For example: him checking out the village's atmosphere frequently, abhoring partiality, refusing to get into childish arguments, and always conscious of how his actions would be interpreted by others.

Last but not least, I would like to extend my gratitude to a few of the reviewers who brought out some valid points. One fine reviewer pointed out the absence of Asuma's brother/Konohamaru's father. I have rectified it in chapter 18 (I am currently ahead of what I have posted). Similarly, the stereotyping. I apologize for it. Harami chan came out as I wanted her to be portrayed. However, Neuki and Soyotta unintentionally became like Shikamaru copycats. I will make efforts to not repeat such mistake in the future.

I also appreciate one reviewer who noted Danzo and Hato's relationship like a surrogate son-father dynamic. The fic is actually traveling towards it, but don't expect Hato to be chubby chubby with Danzo. It will be a strained relationship at best.

And now, it is time for a Danzo rant. One fine reviewer has been hounding me about my portrayal of Danzo. I honestly think that if I were born into Narutoverse, I would be scared of both Danzo and Orochimaru. The things they do in the timeline are really that bad. So, it is only natural that a guy who is born with the knowledge of the future be wary of them and expect worse from them in every situation. Hato has been doing the same. And I find no fault in it. And I am not going to change it to. Hope you still like the story and follow it. If it is not your cup of tea, I totally understand.

And, I am actually amazed at people making judgments on Hato's capabilities when he hasn't even been in a fight.

So, without further ado... straight to the chapter.

(*****)

You know that feeling that arises in your chest as you watch something happen unable to prevent, either because you are too weak or too scared. I was feeling it right now. The dinner in front of me was all but forgotten as I stared at the conversation that was happening right across the dinner table in helplessness.