Chapter 26 - Battle in the Mist - Demon vs Devil

My return to the village was both joyous and triumphant in a sense. I could feel the surrounding shinobi eye me with more respect and if I could strain a little I was able to catch glimpses of conversation that revolved around my deeds.

I was no longer the last of an illustrious clan who had lot to prove. Others were beginning to look at me for who I really was instead of just focusing on my surname. It was a liberating feeling.

But, I wasn't totally joyous either. With Roku is in a critical condition, it kind of made me more anxious than anything. Tsuki sensei too was in critical condition. According to the field medic, they had both lost a lot of blood and were in need of immediate treatment.

Even, I had lost a lot of blood during my escape. Luckily, none of my wounds were lethal hence they were able to patch me up quickly. Fugaku allowed what remained of our platoon to return a few days early, not that he had much choice with the only remaining active members were one non-combat chunnin, a very angry genin and a field medic.

So, a week later found us entering Konoha. I admit, I let out a relieved sigh when I stepped into the gates. For one, the return trip was the first one where I was put in a leadership role. We were also transporting two critically injured shinobi and had minimal firepower if we were to run into a skirmish.

While I was healed, I wasn't hundred percent either. The chunnin was relatively fit, but his specialty was information gathering. Roku and Tsuki sensei were out cold and in treatment. And you couldn't expect much from a field medic in case of a fight. Sure, while she could handle her own, she couldn't turn the tables like a combat-oriented shinobi did.

And Fujita – well, the only thing I could say about him was that he was angry, sullen and irritable ball of emotions who was picking fights on each and every opportunity. Me being the leader didn't sit well with him either. But, we all had the same goal of reaching the village as soon as possible and it was the only thing that held us together.

No one complained when I pushed each day to cover as much distance as possible. The medic wanted her patients admitted into hospital as soon as possible. The chunnin wanted to get rid of a moody Fujita as soon as possible. Fujita wanted to get out of my command as soon as possible. And I wanted to be done with this whole thing as soon as possible. Hence, we all silently agreed to return to the village in a hasty manner.

The moment we entered the gates, Fujita took off with the medic to the hospital along with the two patients, leaving me and the chunnin to report to the Hokage. I had all the necessary papers in my possession. Since it was the last deployment our platoon went on, the only report I had to make was the final battle report. Considering how chaotic it was, I did the best I had to. Luckily, Fugaku had his own report on the same with probably more information that was sent through me. So, it didn't matter much.

We walked into Hokage's room to be greeted by his entire assembly of councilors, Danzo, Orochimaru, Shikaku and the Hokage himself. I could feel the nervousness oozing out of the chunnin beside me. Since, I was both the leader and have more experience with dealing the higher-ups I took the lead. Luckily, the chunnin didn't seem to hold any grudge and was more relieved with me taking the lead than anything else.

I reported the events that led up to me taking command of the platoon and went over the battle as much as I remembered it in short, succinct sentences. Once done, I gave the documents to Shikaku who went through them with a critical eye.

"So, tell me, can this seal of yours be mass-produced?" one of the councilors asked eagerly.

"No, it can't be." I shook my head trying not to drown in the memory of blood and limbs flying.