Chapter 13 - The Rigged Board

Ninjutsu it was. Even though I had reservations regarding learning ninjutsu due to Danzo, I had decided to risk it since getting on to the battlefield without any ninjutsu in your bag of tricks was like asking to be killed. And I definitely knew where I stood on that sentiment.

With that being said, a seven-year-old asking to learn ninjutsu was given much credence. I learned it the hard way. Even Biwako was really skeptical about teaching me ninjutsu. She told me to wait until I graduate and become a genin. According to her, teaching ninjutsu was the responsibility of a Jounin sensei much like teaching advanced taijutsu styles.

But I was not deterred. I shifted my focus to Hiruzen. Even he was reluctant to instruct me in ninjutsu – his reason being that I need to develop my chakra coils further for him to teach any jutsu that could be considered useful. And that hypocrite was the one who approved of Kakashi graduating at the age of six. And what is that drivel about useful jutsus! Jutsus he might consider useless may save my life for all I know. After all, he was the Hokage and I am just a mere seven-year-old.

Seriously, it was really beginning to irk me. I let the matter rest for a few days before deciding to bug someone. While I understood Hiruzen's reluctance and Biwako's excuse, I can't help but feel disappointed in them. Especially Hiruzen.

But, all was not lost though. After me pestering Hiruzen for weeks and weeks (my academy break was almost over. Tch, the loss of training time…) Hiruzen relented to teach me one D-rank jutsu. I grudgingly accepted it. One D-rank jutsu was better than nothing in my opinion. But still, the word D-rank brought a sour taste in my mouth.

And that leads us to this moment. I stood before Hiruzen trying to look calm and collected, but inwardly I was giddy with joy. I had been secretly practicing tree walking technique during the academy break since it didn't look like Hiruzen was going to teach me anything. Now that Hiruzen had relented, I can't help but feel smug inside.

Puppy-Dog-Eye jutsu had done its magic again. (Mind you, with how my face always looks serious it doesn't always help. I couldn't complain about my face though, after all, it made lying easier.)

Hiruzen eyed me critically once before pulling out a familiar piece of paper. He beckoned me closer and showed it to me. I studied the piece of chakra paper in his hand and a small smile crept across my face.

"Hatorama kun, this is called chakra paper. Do you know what it does?" he asked in his teaching voice.

I nodded indicating that I knew exactly what it did, "It identifies the elemental affinity one has in his chakra. If it turns to dust then I will have earth affinity, it turns soggy it will indicate water affinity. Likewise, it will crinkle for lightning, burn to ashes for fire and split into two for wind."

"I see that you have been learning about it," Hiruzen said in a mild tone of disapproval causing me to rub my head sheepishly.

I will admit. My backup plan was to learn ninjutsu on my own. There is no way in hell I am graduating with just the three academy jutsus in my bag of tricks.

"Then, inject your chakra. Let's see what your affinity is," Hiruzen said presenting the paper to me.

I carefully injected my chakra into the paper and the chakra paper promptly turned soggy. So, water it is then. I exhaled the sigh I have been holding in for a long time and looked at Hiruzen in anticipation. He eyed me for a while and let out a chuckle shaking his head in exasperation.

"Why did I even test? Of course, you would have sensei's affinity with water," Hiruzen said with a fond smile on his face.

I, on the other hand, was not happy with my nature affinity. While I had some inkling of a doubt it would be water, I had desperately hoped to have fire, lightning, or wind. Earth and water were my least favorite nature types in the series.