Chapter 15 - Hypocrites

Shinobi can be real hypocrites when they want to. I have seen countless instances of this behavior in my short life here in Narutoverse. Whether it be Hiruzen, Biwako, Danzo or any of the others that I usually interacted with, they are always fine with things as long as it is to their liking. If it inconveniences them, they would gladly forget that they would do the same thing.

But, it never bothered me until that particular moment. Maybe it was because I was also a hypocrite like them. Maybe it was something else. I honestly didn't know. Hell, I wouldn't have even noticed it as a big flaw if I hadn't run into that particular cannon character on that particular day.

It was an important day for me in this second life. More important than the day I was born into this world or any other day. It was the anniversary, third to be precise, of the day that I realized I had been taking this second life for granted. It was the third anniversary of Sakumo Hatake's death.

Until the incident with Sakumo happened, my goal of becoming an S- rank ninja was never formed. Sure, like everyone I dreamed of being a powerful shinobi. But until Sakumo died it didn't become concrete in my mind.

I owed it to the man. He was the one who truly opened my eyes in this second life. Even though we haven't interacted at all, the man had left a lasting mark on my heart. A man who put the lives of fellow comrades over something as measly as reputation. In this village, he was a man with a clear conscience and had proper sight on what's more important. In my opinion, this world needs more men like him.

I occasionally drop by Sakumo's grave only to find it neglected and downtrodden. But not always. Sometimes there would be a flower on his grave indicating gratitude for his deeds. Sometimes it would be clean. And his anniversary was one of the times I had found the grave to be clean like any other grave could be.

As usual, I strolled up to the grave and knelt before the headstone. The headstone didn't portray many words, but the words that have been engraved on them were enough for me.

Hatake Sakumo - The White Fang of Konoha.

I viewed it for a few moments and bowed my head in respect. I stayed there like that for a few minutes hoping the man would understand in the afterlife how he had affected me and wondering whether he would approve of my actions.

I was by no means a hero like him. I was selfish and usually shied away from making any major decisions. I liked my life trouble free, yet I yearned to become strong. I didn't know whether my desire for power was as altruistic as I imagined it to be or it is just that – a craving for power. I didn't know whether someone like Sakumo would approve of a man like me.

But, I hoped there was something in me that he would approve.

I opened my eyes and placed the flower I had bought with me beside the three flowers that were already placed on the grave. I sat there silently for a few minutes wondering who these three flowers belonged to. Probably from the families of three men whose life he saved, my mind supplied.

While it has been already three years since his death, Shinobi still preferred to disassociate themselves from the man. His sacrifice and ideas were scorned. Even when people respected him it was for his power and power alone. So, I didn't think any of the Shinobi will be caught paying respects to the man.

I, on the other hand, respected him for his clear sight and the extent he was willing to go to protect his son. It was something similar to what Tsunade had done for me. While he performed Seppuku, Tsunade distanced herself. Nevertheless, both of their intentions were the same. To protect their loved ones. And I respected that immensely.

"Stay away from her, you bastard,"

A voice from the past spat at me in my mind. My hands involuntarily tightened. I didn't have many memories of my past life. As this life went on, only a few of those were still present. The knowledge of this world and some important and impactful things I had faced in my past life. And those words were one of the most vivid memories of my past life left in my mind. Most of it was repressed at the back of my mind. But, not these words. And I had been a selfish asshole in my past life. I was not a good human being then.