f o u r

three months later

three months later

farah miller sat at the desk in her room, her door slightly open due to george poking his head in. "do you ever stop studying?" george questioned. truthfully, studying and trying to be the best had always been how farah dealt with being the least favourite of her family. "i'm just really interested in this field." she said with a shrug. derek had been spending a lot of time around with meredith which had kind of made farah feel a little awkward but nonetheless, she was happy if meredith was happy.

farah still sat at her desk, her eyes glued to her textbooks as she scribbled notes in her book. she then heard a small knock at the door, "george i told you-" she begin to go off before a familiar deep voice spoke, "i'm not george." farah then turned around, seeing derek shepherd leaning on the doorframe of her door. "studying, i see." derek commented. farah gave a small nod, "something like that." she said with a small smile. derek made his way over to her desk, leaning over the desk as he read the text book. "craniectomy surgery? you sure you don't wanna specialise in neuro?" derek questioned. "just reading the books, i do find neuro interesting but, it's not for me." farah stated with a shrug. "how are your parents?" derek then questioned. farah froze for a short moment, "very invested in their jobs," farah remarked with a chuckle.

meredith then called derek, causing him to rush off. eventually, farah stopped working- got something to eat and headed to bed. during the night she woke up- nothing unusual but none of her friends knew. farah made her way to the kitchen, she entered the kitchen and begin to pour herself a glass of water. "night time antics, aye?" derek commented, he too held a glass off water in his hand, his hair all messy. "haha, i guess." farah responded, she had been trying to distance herself from derek and he hadn't made it easy. "so, what's up?" he questioned. "the roof, nduh." farah remarked, causing derek to let out a chuckle. "no i mean, you've been avoiding me. so what's going on?" derek once again questioned. "not everything is about you derek, i'm just working really hard." farah responded, looking away. "are you sure? because-" derek begin. "you're with meredith. as i'm sure you know, after medical school we're socially, i don't know, awkward. please focus on her, not me ignoring you." farah rinsed her glass before walking back towards her room. "so you were ignoring me?" derek commented. farah shrugged as she continued walking.

the next day was filled with tension at seattle grace. farah caught the chief staring over a quiet board. "what's wrong, chief?" farah questioned. the chief was a close friend of her fathers, so he took a personal interest in farah- just like he did meredith for ellis. "quiet board," the chief remarked. "something bad is going to happen." farah responded, before the chief turned to her. "dr miller you better touch wood before you damn jinx this hospital." the chief remarked. farah raised a cheeky eyebrow, touching the chiefs head. "you are so lucky you're basically a daughter to me." the chief shook his head before walking away.

farah then was paged by dr bailey. "bailey? hey, what's up?" farah questioned. "get ready for transportation, there's been a trauma, train accident. suspected mass casualties." bailey demanded. farah ran off, grabbing all of the stuff she needed before she and the other interns awaited to be transported out to the scene. apparently, meredith was rambling onto cristina about how supposedly derek had a wife and she showed up. then, meredith told derek to choose her. farah tuned into the conversation, "i'm sorry, did you say addison shepherd?" farah questioned- causing meredith to nod. "why?" cristina questioned. "name sounds familiar that's all." farah replied, truthfully, addison had been one of her sisters friends for years- she never knew that's how derek knew her father.

when arriving at the scene, there was train carriage slanted upwards, which made farah a bit scared to approach. "i'll take head over to the slanted one," alex remarked, farah went with alex, deciding he could use a hand. once they got to the top of the slanted train carriage, they saw a man who had a pole through his stomach. once they started to try to help the man, who they discovered was named Tom, they heard a groan of pain. farah begin to move some material, revealing a girl on the same pole. "guys! don't touch it. we've got a problem." farah exclaimed.

after some serious problem solving, george and alex came home with an excellent plan to cut the side of the train to remove both Tom and the girl.

once both were conscious and at the hospital, the surgeons begin to assess the injured pair. bonnie, the young girl, turns her head to burke. "excuse me, doctor?" she questions, causing farah to look up at her. everyone knew in the room that bonnie had the least chance of survival. "you shouldn't turn your head. you want to try to move as little as possible." burke explained. farah moved next to derek, "will they make it?" she whispered in a low tone. "i'm not sure, i think tom will." derek replied, whispering in response. farah nodded and headed back to the other interns.

farah was helping derek assess bonnie's condition, derek applied some pressure to bonnie's leg. "can you feel that, bonnie?" farah questioned. "can i feel what?... oh i guess that's a no..." bonnie replied, a frown present on the young girls face. "okay, tom, can you wiggle your toes for me, please?" derek questioned. tom successfully wiggled his toes. "are they moving?" tom questioned. "yes, yes they are." derek responded. bonnie then proceeded to try to move her toes, "what about mine? are mine moving?" bonnie questioned. derek and farah looked to bonnie's feet, no motion whatsoever. "they are." derek replied.

farah turned her head to him, "can we talk, outside?" she questioned. derek nodded, the duo heading out of the room. "why would you lie to bonnie?" farah questioned. "there is a chance she will not make it, farah. and it is bigger than i'd like." derek responded. "what are you going to do if she does survive and she looks at you and questions why am i paralysed, huh?" farah pressed. "honestly, farah, you need to put your emotions aside. you should've learnt that from your father." derek replied. "learnt something from my parents? you're kidding right? only thing i've learnt from them is that-" farah stopped herself when she realised she was over sharing, "you know what, it's really not your concern." she then took off, needing a breather.

to say bonnie and tom's surgery was heartbreaking was the least, farah found herself and meredith trying to save bonnie before farah then ended up in the back room, tears streaming down her face. she felt someone but an arm around her, for some reason she expected it to be derek. when she looked up and saw alex, she gave a small smile nonetheless. "i just, i don't know, let it get personal?" farah said with a shrug. "it's okay, we're humans. we make mistakes." alex replied, placing a kiss on her forehead as he brought the girl into a better hug.