t w e n t y

farah miller laid next to derek shepherd in his trailer

farah miller laid next to derek shepherd in his trailer. farah miller loved the trailer, she had mostly grown up on her grandparents farm so, the trailer was kind of comforting to her. farah glanced over at derek, seeing he was still asleep. she allowed a small smile to reach her lips. for the first time in years, farah finally felt happy. the girl settled back down, resting her head on derek's chest and loosely wrapping her arm around his torso. her eyes glanced over at the clock, seeing it was 5.12 am farah usually got up 5.30 am, meaning they didn't have too long. farah allowed her fingers to delicately trail through derek's perfect hair, imagining the one time izzie said 'even his hair is mcperfect', causing the girl to giggle a little- which caused derek to stir.

"morning," farah said softly, placing a kiss on his cheek- scared of her morning breath. derek smiled at farah, "morning," he then rolled into his side, placing a sweet and gentle kiss onto the miller's lips. farah gave a smile, glancing over at the clock- seeing it was 5.18 am now. "we have 12 minutes," she suggestively remarked, derek laughed at her comment. soon, derek had rolled them both over so he was on top... the rest was history.

as the 5.30 alarm rang, both of the doctors grumbled in annoyance- happening to be enjoying their time together in bed. farah changed into some basic active attire, knowing she wouldn't be in it long considering she'd change into scrubs once reaching the hospital. derek and farah drove to the hospital together, the car ride was usually somewhat silent- but not awkward, more comforting. this time, they were both rather talkative. perhaps it was the coffee they had before they ventured towards the hospital.

"have you studied for intern exams?" derek questioned. "yes, i think i'm a little unprepared though. so i won't be coming out to the trailer tonight." farah replied, derek nodded. "have you spoken to your parents recently?" derek asked out of curiosity. farah allowed a small frown to reach her features, she was unsure if it was due to the discomfort of the subject or if she had just been in thought. "no... they don't contact me so, i don't contact them i guess." farah replied with a shrug. derek gave a nod of understanding, before deciding to change the subject. "which intern should i ask for today? dr webber has demanded i stop favouriting you." derek asked, before cheekily rolling his eyes at the last sentence. "meredith or alex really. meredith is good at neuro, she has the smarts. so does alex, he's actually quite talented beneath all that arrogance." farah explained. "what about yang, stevens and o'malley?" derek questioned.

"yang is excellent, but cardio is her strongest but i think she could do neuro. stevens is good, really good. but i think bailey still has her on close watch after denny. o'malley is good too, but he is focused on other things at the moment. distracted i guess." farah explained. derek took in all the information before replying, "so basically, stevens, karev, or grey?" derek verifies. "something like that." farah shrugged, before she turned up the music and begin to bob her head to it. derek laughed at the interns moves, before beginning to join her in dancing.

as they were driving, farah spotted an incident on the sidewalk. the car appeared to be on top of a cyclist. "derek! pull over." farah called out, quickly jumping out of the car and running across as he slowed down. derek stared in shock for a few seconds before he came to the realisation and tore off towards the incident. farah gently reached her hand out to the cyclists neck, trying to find a pulse. "she has a pulse, but it's quite weak." farah told derek. farah saw derek had a first aid bag in his hand- that gave her more confidence in both her and derek for what she'd ask next.

"we need to get this car off, let's lift it." farah yelled out to the bystanders. the public quickly joined in to help. after some challenges, they safely removed the car from on top of the cyclist. farah overlooked the woman's injuries. "obvious femur injury, um, trauma to the head, and abdomen is rigid." farah quickly listed. derek begin to check the woman's vitals, "pupils are responsive." derek informed. the pair then heard the ambulance in the distance, "well that'll be good timing." farah sarcastically commented as she continued to support the lady's neck.

farah and derek got into the ambulance with the woman. once they reached seattle grace, the pair jumped out of the ambulance- the paramedics wheeling her beside them. dr. bailey came running out, "miller? shepherd?" bailey questioned, before coming to the realisation, "oh-" bailey said before turning her attention to the patient. "jane doe, appears to be about 23, obvious head and femur injuries. abdomen appears rigid." farah introduced. "page torres and webber." bailey told the nurse as they wheeled the cyclist into trauma one.

callie torres entered the room, "farah, annie connors was asking for you. it's okay, we've got this one." dr torres explained. "alright, thank you dr torres." farah replied before heading out of the room and up to annie connors room. annie was due to have the surgery tonight, farah had become the girl's favourite doctor. "hey annie," farah said as she entered the room. "hey dr miller, i was just wondering about how long the surgery will be?" annie questioned, farah could tell the woman was nervous. farah took a seat in the chair beside annie, "that is unknown, as your mass is quite large, it will be a difficult surgery. but we have the best surgical team you could ask for. you are in great hands," farah reassured. annie allowed a small smile to reach her lips, "could you give my mum frequent updates throughout my surgery? i know she'll get worried." annie asked. "of course annie, of course."

annie's surgery was long and difficult, meredith and cristina had to hold the woman's mass the whole time. unfortunately, annie crashed and they lost her. farah currently sat on the emergency stair case, staring quietly at the wall. she had let things get personal with annie. george took a seat beside farah, "hard day?" he questioned. farah gave a small nod, "we lost annie connors." farah told him. "i got personal." farah admitted. george placed an arm around his friend's shoulders. "it's okay, we all make mistakes." george replied, farah resting her head on his shoulder. the world was on top of their shoulders, pressure was rising. especially with intern exams coming soon.

authors note
thank you so so so much for 7k reads!!! you guys are the best! :)