Chapter 7 | 'Sleepless & Debt' |

I couldn't sleep.

My legs and arms are sprawled widely on my bed, a sigh of frustration left from my lips as I glared to the ceiling. I tossed around, right to left, shutting my eyes tightly and let out a growl for the hundredth time.

I bolted up from my bed and kicked the bed sheets away and opened the curtains as quietly as possible. I put on my combat boots and sly-footed my way out of the girl's dormitory to the common room. I looked around for any possible movements and started to roam around the castle in silence.

For one of the many times in my life, I'm very grateful for Uncle Yong to teach me the technique of sly-footing. It was a skill that helps you to walk without making a sound and it helped me on many occasions. Like back at home at night when I needed to drink water or go outside without waking up anyone else, or during 'Capture the Flag' back at Camp Half-Blood, where I sneaked up towards the person to catch and bring the prisoner back.

I scan around the hallways, descending the stairs as the fire from the torches illuminated through the room. All of the portraits hanging everywhere down the walls were sound asleep, an unnatural silence goes throughout the paths.

Then I heard hushed voices, echoes bouncing off the walls;

"Stop stepping on my foot, Padfoot."

"It's not my fault this cloak is small for all four of us, Prongs."

"Are we there yet?"

"This is such a bad idea."

I pressed my back against the wall and examined my surroundings and found nothing but darkness around the corridor. I closed my eyes and listened to the soft footsteps reverberate the floor. I narrowed my eyes to the passage to where I thought the people were walking forward, and creeped towards the invisible space, using my practiced sly-footing.

I grabbed the thin air, feeling a cool fabric against my fingers as I pulled off a cloak, revealing none other than Hogwarts' most troubled students; the Marauders.

Four heads snapped to my direction and their expressions showed utter shock. They gaped at me as if they saw a minotaur for the first time, frozen in astonishment and fear.

"What are you guys doing?" My voice hushed, lips tight, and my brows furred.

"How did you know we were here?" Sirius asked, still with surprise written on his face.

"I thought nobody could see through the Invisibility Cloak," James looked between me and the material that I was holding.

"First of all, I couldn't sleep and I just decided to take a walk. And please, anyone can hear your bickerings from across the hallways. If you people were trying to pull off a prank during the night, then you should first know how to sneak around in silence."

All of them were about to retort back, but thought better of it once they saw my hard glare. Then I heard footsteps advancing near us. We all widened our eyes and froze. I hurriedly throw the cloak back to them, covering most of their bodies, turning them invisible from sight. I turned just in time to see Professor Slughorn (or I think the name is) passing and stopped on his tracks.

He raised his bushy eyebrow and saw him frowning through his mustache. "What are you young lady doing here at this time?" Despite catching a person past curfew, his voice was very kind.

I composed myself in a split second and snapped my finger, the sound echoing around the room loud and clear as if it cut through the air to be heard. "I am here on patrol, sir. You know, since I am a prefect on duty," I said, hoping my voice was convincing as I thought my excuse was. From the corner of my eye, I saw my clothes shift fuzzily to what I think was a robe, and looked straight to the middle-aged man with a smile.