Chapter 9 | 'Discussion & Accidents' |

Since I made the small realization about my heritage, the first person that came up in my mind to talk to was Annabeth without a doubt. Maybe I should have talked about this to Noah first, but Annabeth and I had been involved in each other's life greater than my step-brother. (Sorry, brother dear.)

So, when I entered the common room and headed to our shared dormitory, I found her sitting on her own bed, reading a book full of architecture. I glanced towards the bed where Katie proclaimed, pleased that she wasn't present, I strolled to Annabeth and perched myself on the cushion. She looked up from her book when she felt the bed shift under her weight and gazed at me curiously.

"What is it, Lian. Something wrong?" She spoke, closing her book silently. I bit my bottom lip and played with the sheets of the duvet. I let out a sigh and met her waiting eyes.

"Remember the name Attila from my family tree? And the nightmare I had that bothered me?"

"Yeah? What about them?"

"I may have just found out the truth," I rubbed my arm nervously. So I began to explain everything to Annabeth all about the thing I have just puzzled over. The possibility of me being descended from the leaders of the Huns, the man from the horrible dream must have been Theodosius I, and the facts that pointed out to my guess. She listened carefully, taking in every word and sometimes giving her own thoughts and opinion about the topic. Once I was finished telling her, both of us had troubled expressions.

"I just don't understand why you had a nightmare about Theodosius, well, killing you," Annabeth played with her necklace.

"Well, perhaps it was because Attila was the reason his empire fell?" She nodded her head slowly and stared at me.

"Maybe." I studied her face and although she had a perfect facade of indifference, I saw a flash of worry cloud over her eyes. She raised her hand to my arm and gave me a squeeze to reassure me. A small smile graced on my lips as I looked at her gratefully. "I'm sure it's going to be fine," She told me. Even though what Annabeth said was supposed to sound comforting, both of us knew that all of this was not to be ignored and might be the start of something treacherous.

I leaned on to her and held her hand and returned the grip. "Thank you, Annabeth. For everything."

«§«§«§«§«

I scanned my surroundings. I was in a moorland, specks of pink shades of heathers splattered across the field in a beautiful combination of green grasses. I looked down at my clothing, realizing that I was not wearing my usual outfit – a random shirt, cargo pants, and a pair of black combat boots. Instead, my body was covered in thick layers of animal fur, a dense and heavy coat, boots that reached to my shin, leggings made out of animal skin, and a furry hat.

I started to walk, even though the place seemed peaceful, my footsteps were cautious. The sun was covered by a sheet of clouds, the sky was milky grey and faint sunlight seeped through. I shivered when a strong, frosty wind hit me and rubbed my arms to keep myself warm. I spotted a hill ahead of me and plodded my way up there. Once on the rising hill, I cast a look around the view, taking in everything that was before me.

I noticed dark coloured dots of shadows moving steadily across the field. Panic flooded over me as I identified the shadows being a group of people, all wearing something similar to me, all holding weapons, specifically bows and arrows. I caught my breath and flattened my body against the opposite side of the hill and peeked over it to see them riding horses. If you describe their appearances in one word, it was barbaric, though I guess I look just like them.

I drifted my gaze to where they were heading, but it was no use since all you can see was an endless field of the moor. Taking my chance, I lifted my body up from the ground and crouched myself low just in case. However, it seemed like my luck was terrible, because one of the people from the group took a casual scan across the field, then spotted me. I couldn't hear what they were saying but all of them halted to a stop, then a man, I presume, at the front took out his bow and readied his arrow. I was horror-struck and stood my ground, though my mind screamed to run away. I stared as the arrow was shoot and arched its way towards me. As the bolt was about to plunge itself, darkness snapped before my eyes.