Chapter Koda

Kirishima always got cold at night. Usually, he would just get a blanket, or lie by the radiator, but those options weren't exactly available in his current situation.

His first solution was to find Bakugo since he was usually quite warm, but he had been sleeping in a completely different area of the temple - "I'm not sleeping with these losers!" he'd yelled.

Instead of walking all the way to Bakugo, he resorted to cuddling with Appa. His fur should act like a blanket, which would keep him warm until morning.

Settling down, he noticed Sokka stand up, glancing around. He thought nothing of it and tried to go back to sleep. This was, until Sokka screamed and fell on top of him.

"Kiri?" he whisper shouted, "what are you doing?"

"What about you?" he shot back.

"You both ought to be more quiet." Zuko jumped down from Appa, landing without a sound.

"Zuko, I'm still going to go. The invasion plan was my idea, and I chose to stay when things went wrong. I have to restore my honour." Kirishima didn't know what Sokka was talking about, but he wasn't going to let him do it alone.

"Fine, but I'm coming with you."

"Me too."

"We can take the war balloon. Last time I checked, prisons don't have bison day care." Zuko said, patting the side of Appas head.

"Wait, prison?" Kirishima asked.

"Yeah, my dad was taken hostage after the invasion. Suki might be there too!" he wasn't going to ask who Suki was. Hopefully, he'd find out later.

"We should leave a note so they don't worry when they wake up and find us gone. I'll say we've gone fishing." Zuko quickly scribbled down a note before running after the other two.

They loaded some food into the balloon, and a spare set of clothes each - Kirishima borrowed some of Zuko's. He kind of regretted choosing a hero costume that was so cold.

For the most part, the flight to the prison - which Kirishima found out was called the Boiling Rock - started off an awkward silence.

"Pretty clouds."

"Yeah." awkward was the only word to describe this. "Fluffy."

"You know, a friend of mine actually designed this." Sokka said, breaking the silence.

"No kidding." he turned to Kirishima, "Do they have things like this in your world?"

"We have way cooler things than this! But we still have balloons." Kirishima replied.

"Did you leave anyone behind when you came here? A girlfriend?" Sokka asked. He clearly had the most social skills out of the three of them.

"Not really. I've never had a girlfriend before." he cringed a little at how pathetic he sounded.

"What about a boyfriend?"

"Still no. Hey Zuko, did you leave anyone behind when you found Aang?" Kirishima had been wondering this for a while. Zuko didn't seem like the kind of person who had lots of close friends, especially being a Prince.

"I did have a girlfriend, Mai." he smiled a bit at the thought of her.

"The gloomy one who sighs a lot?" Kirishima figured that they'd met before he arrived.

"Yeah."

"My first girlfriend turned into the moon." Sokka said, leaning on the side of the balloon.

(A/n say it with me everybody)

"That's rough buddy." Zuko said nonchalantly.

There were another few moments of awkward silence; what were you meant to say to that?

As if on cue to force the trio to speak, the balloon started to drop rapidly.

"What's happening?" Kirishima yelled, clinging onto the basket for dear life while Zuko tried to bend more fire into the balloon.

"The air on the outside is just as warm as the air inside, we're here!" Sokka yelled, also struggling to stay on his feet.

"What're we meant to do?" Zuko had since given up on trying to keep them in the air, and was plummeting with the rest of them.

"Crash land?"

Sure enough, they crashed into the centre of the volcano, completely obliterating any way of leaving.

"Shit." Kirishima grumbled as he rolled onto the ground. His head had been bashed on the way down, and he had got grazes covering his entire body.

He could here Sokka kicking something into the water; upon looking up, he realised it was the broken remains of the balloon.

"What are you doing?"

"It's unusable. And besides, if they find it, we'll be in trouble. I suspected this may be a one way ticket." Sokka explained as Zuko and Kirishima sighed. How could he be so stupid?

"You knew this would happen? Uncle always said I didn't think things through, but this is ridiculous." Zuko complained.

"It's fine, we'll think of something. For now, we have to find some guard uniforms." that wasn't reassuring at all, but the other two had no choice but to go along with it.