Chapter 3: 𝒮𝓉𝒾𝓃𝓀𝓎 𝒫𝓇𝑜𝓉𝑒𝒸𝓉𝒾𝑜𝓃

Her house was huge and almost all the walls were taken up by glass windows. I went in through the garage, which Vera had given me the combo for, and entered the immaculate house. It looked like some rich person's house, nothing like our childhood home at all. It was all very Vera.

The first thing I did was raid her fridge. I didn't find anything very good. Just as few cheese sticks and a half eaten tub of organic ice cream. "Damn Vera. You need to go shopping." I ate everything I could find and then I took a nice, hot shower, keeping the bag of hides in the bathroom with me. And no. I wasn't taking a shower because Vera told me to. I was a grown woman and I had decided on my own I needed a shower.

I borrowed one of Vera's fluffy, dark red bathrobes and sat on her pure white couch, watching whatever cartoons were on tv. Soon the day was fading out and that's when Vera walked through the door. She frowned upon seeing me. "Really?"

"What are you judging me for now, Vera?" Vera's high heels clicked on the hardwood floor as she made her over, placing her purse on the coffee table.

"Well, for starters, you're sitting butt naked on my very expensive couch." She eyed my bag, which sat next to me. "And that thing is filthy." I placed a protective hand over the bag of hides, growling. Vera didn't look impressed. "Can we not act like animals?"

"Oh my god. You really have a problem with everything."

"Most things, yes. Get that thing off my couch. Thank you." I reluctantly did so, placing it under my legs. Vera flopped down next to me, brushing a perfect strand of hair away from her face. I eyed her suspiciously. Vera looked to the kitchen, which was all but trashed. "I see you helped yourself."

"You need to get more food. And the good stuff. All you have is organic gloop." Vera merely looked back to the tv, which was some superhero cartoon. A few minutes went by before she spoke again.

"The 'good stuff' is nothing but harmful ingredients and fat." A pang of guilt washed through me. I had only been around three years old when Vera lost her daughter. Anaphylactic shock, my parents had told me. I fell silent, hugging my knees to my chest. We watched tv for a long, tense moment.

"Who's 'he'?" I looked over to Vera, worried she had read my mind and knew about Delta's outburst. "You said he found you." That he. I hugged my legs tighter, not really ready to talk to him.

"Just--just someone I used to know..." Vera looked me over, those eyes seeming to peer into my soul.

"The Silent Sisters?" I instantly knew she was asking if they had killed him. I turned away, giving a small nod. "Hum." Vera stood, making her way into her room, ending the conversion. I watched tv until Vera came out of her room, almost an hour later. She had changed into a fancy set of silk-like black pj's and had pulled her hair up into a perfect messy bun that made me jealous. She held a phone up, an eyebrow cocked.

"It seems someone's been wanting to get a hold of you." That's when I realized it was my phone she held. I hopped up, making a grab for said phone. Vera pulled it out of my reach, lighting fast. She scrolled through the texts I've been getting. "All from a Mr. Hamish Duke." I made to grab it again, but Vera placed a hand on my forehead, holding me at arms length. "Hum. I do seem to remember him."

"Give me my phone, Vera!"

"He's a very handsome specimen." I groaned, snatching my phone out of her grip and looked over the texts.

Unknown number: Hey, it's Hamish. Still up for drinks? Sent at seven o'clock.

Unknown number: It's Hamish Duke. I don't know how many Hamish's you know, but better safe than sorry. Sent at seven-thirty.

Unknown number: If you want to come hang out, me and my friends are going to the pub near campus. You're welcome to join us if you wish. Sent at seven-forty. I ran a hand through my half dried hair.

"Shit." I breathed. Vera made her way into her kitchen where she grabbed herself a wine glass.

"Are you going to go?"

"Go! Go! Go!" Delta echoed. "Him!" I continued to stare at the texts, feeling a bit bad for forgetting.

"I-I don't know." Vera rolled her eyes as she poured herself a glass. "What?"

"Nothing. Do what you wish." I growled as Vera took a graceful sip.

"It's not like it's exactly safe out there for me right now." Vera's eyes brightened a bit, like she had just remembered something.

"About that." She walked around me back into the living room. I watched with crossed arms as she dug around in her purse, pulling out a little brown-leather bag on a string. She held it out to me. "For your protection." I eyed the bag. It smelled pretty bad.

"What is it?" I asked, taking it from her.

"Just a bunch of herbs and things. It'll keep you safe for the time being." Vera gestured for me to put it on. With a great sigh, I did.

"I don't feel very protected."

"Just wear it." She took another sip from her glass, sitting back on the couch. "Now you can go out." I looked back at the texts and then to my sister.

"Go! Go!" The bag of hides moved, pulling Vera's attention to it.

"What the hell is that?" I all but dove over the couch, grabbing the bag up in my arms.

"Nothing."

"Is it an animal?" I shook my head a bit too fast.

"Pfft. No. It's--my stuff. Don't open it."

"Whatever." She drank. I sighed, placing the hides on the ground. "You should go." I went to argue but Vera cut me off. "Grief is crippling. Don't let it make you weak." And that was the end of the conversion.

"Him." Delta had never been this persistent the whole time I had been her champion. It made me think I should go. Just to see if it meant anything. God I wish Delta would just tell me what was up. "You'll see." I all but rolled my eyes. But, a bit reluctantly, I texted Hamish back.

Me: Yep, I'll be there in a giffy. I then went about getting ready. Vera hadn't been very happy about me borrowing her clothes, but all my things had been burned in a fire. Before I left, I made sure to shove the hides in a random closet and lock it. By lock, I mean wrap a ton of towels and wire around the handles. Vera was the biggest snoop I'd ever met and I really wasn't in the mood for one of the hides to find her worthy or whatever.

The night was warm and the campus was still buzzing with students. The pub was especially full. I went in and scanned every inch of the place. I didn't find Hamish. This was the pub I could find. Stepping out the stuffy pub, my phone buzzed.

Unknown number: Great! Meet us by the courtyard. This wasn't sketchy at all.

"You still think this is a good idea Delta?"

"Yes. Go." I huffed, writing a quick response back.

Me: See you there. I shoved my phone into the back pocket of a pair way too fancy black pants.

"If I get kidnapped it's your fault."

"You're being a big baby."

"You're being a big baby." I mocked before I went to my possible murder.