Chapter 5: 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝐻𝒾𝒹𝑒𝓈

Randall had bombarded me with a multitude of questions about the other hides and what their names were. I hadn't had a chance to answer any of them before Hamish was escorting me out of their den. From the outside, the house looked about ready to give. Windows were boarded up and it looked like your typical abandoned haunted house. Except instead of ghosts you got werewolves.

The woods were dark but I had no problems with sight. I looked at Hamish, who was still walking beside me. He had continued to insist he walk me back to Vera's house, despite my protests. Why did he want to walk me back? I had no clue.

Maybe it was because he felt bad for kidnapping me. Or he wanted to make sure I didn't do any funny business, like talk to The Order. I was guessing The Order was the magical secret society here. The society which my sister is in. Yeah, I would have to keep that little fact to myself.

Hamish had agreed to let me keep the hides in their den. I think that was part of the reason he was walking with me. To see if I was lying. But I didn't care what the reason was. I put up a fight when he suggested walking me back, but really I wanted his company. Anyone's company. Being alone right now--it isn't good for me. I had nearly broke when I had been left alone at Vera's house. I didn't want to cry. I didn't want to think about magic or death.

Soon, we came to Vera's house and before Hamish could take another step closer, I stopped him. "Stay here. I'll be right back out." I could see Hamish wanted to protest but I cut him off. "My sister can't know about you. Just stay here." Before Hamish could ask why my sister couldn't know about him, I was already making my way into the house.

The lights were off and the door to Vera's bedroom was shut, so I assumed she was asleep. Good. It would make this easier if I didn't have to explain myself. When I got to the closet I locked the hides in, I found the towels were still wrapped around it. I had the towels unwrapped and the doors opened in a minute. "How'd the date go?" Vera's voice sounded from behind me, lights turning on.

"Fine." I grabbed the large bag and swung it over my shoulder, before turning to find her standing there, arms calmly crossed.

"Oh? And is that blood from before or after?" I reached a hand to touch the back of my head. Dried blood caked a bit of my hair. Lilith.

"It's nothing."

"Are the Silent Sisters here?" I sighed, going to leave.

"No, and I'm fine. I need--" She grabbed my wrist, holding me in my spot.

"Nora, I can't keep you safe if you put yourself in harm's way. What happened?" Concern was in her eyes. Real worry. It hurt me to look at her.

"I drank a little too much and hit my head." Vera sighed through her nose. She knew I was lying. "I'm fine. Really. Look," I pulled the protection charm she gave me out from under my shirt. "I'm still wearing it."

"That will only go so far." I patted her hand.

"I need to go. I'll be back in a bit." I could see she wanted to argue but I stopped her before she could. "I'll be safe, Vera. This was nothing." Vera let go of my wrist, backing up a step.

"Fine." I left without any other word. Since when did she care? I know she was helping me but...I didn't think she wanted to.

"Is your sister part of The Order?" Was the first thing Hamish asked me. Annoyance shot through me.

"Were you eavesdropping?" Hamish crossed his arms.

"No--yes--maybe. That's besides the point." I scoffed, crossing my arms.

"It hardly is."

"Do you work for The Order?" I groaned.

"I don't even know what The Order is. Is my sister a part of it? I don't know. Is she helping me? Yes. All I know is she is sticking her neck out for me when she sure as hell doesn't have to."

"How do I know you're not lying? That you'll betray us the second you find the chase too?"

"I'm a Knight. I would never work with witches. Witches burned my family--" My throat tightened. I couldn't be weak. Not now, not ever. "They burned my pack to ashes. There is nothing left of them. Nothing, but their hides."

I pulled the heavy backpack off my shoulders and opened it. Auburn fur and my leather-bound diary were the first things that popped up. Hamish looked to this, then to me. "All I want is a safe place to put them. Somewhere magic won't be a problem. Where I know they'll be safe" We were quiet for a long time. The sounds of tree frogs and wind filling it. Delta shifted under my skin. She was worried. Why? I don't know.

"If I found out you've been lying. I won't hesitate in taking you out." I nodded my head, zipping my bag up.

"Of course. Protect your pack with everything you have." I slung the bag over my shoulders again. "We should go before Vera starts looking for something to gossip about." And off we went, back to Hamish's den.

Randall and Lilith met us in the foyer, where I found a climbing wall attended to the wall near the stairs. They were eager to know about the other hides. "Are they in that bag?" Randall asked, peaking around me to see. "Can they breath?"

"I don't think they really need to breathe."

"Right." He said, elongating it. "Come on! I'll show you the hide room." And off he went through one of the doors and down a winding staircase. Lilith glared my way.

"I'm watching you. So not fucking around." She gestured for me to go first. I gave her a thumbs-up before walking down that stairs after Randall. There was another door at the bottom of these steps and through it a room full of books, weapons, and magical artifacts.

"What the hell..." Randall popped out of nowhere, making me jump.

"Wicked right? It's all magical contraband." I opened a random book on one of the tables and found it was a diary from the 1600s. Lilith grabbed the book.

"Don't touch."

"It's a diary from the 1600s. I highly doubt it's yours." Lilith looked to the book and then back to me, her hard gaze not changing.

"Like Randall said. Magical contraband." I refunded from rolling my eyes. Just let it go. I'm an outsider. I need to respect them and their rules.

"Is this where you keep your hide lockers?" Hamish shook his head, moving past me to another door in the room. The double doors swung open to relive a tiny, stone room filled with burning candles. Five hide lockers sat in the room.

"We can work on finding new lockers, but in the meantime, you can keep them in here." I gave Hamish a smile.

"Thank you." I pulled the bag off my shoulders and knelt on the ground. I unzipped the bag and auburn fur popped out. I grabbed my diary and placed it beside me. Carefully, I pulled the first hideout. I looked to Randall and Lilith. They had been very interested in the hides, so I might as well share. "This is Redclaw. She's fierce and a bit crazy at times. Some might say she's a mini apocalypse."

"Like Midnight!" Randall said. "He chooses anyone. We call him Cannon Fodder." Lilith told him to shut up. I placed Redclaw on the ground, folded nicely.

"Then we have the twins," I said, pulling out a light brown, almost blond hide and a black hide. "Daywalker and Nightwalker. They only choose twins and rarely get Champions." I placed the twins on the ground near Redclaw. I paused before taking the last hide out. Don't be weak.

"This--this is Spiral." I pulled the black-furred hide out of the bag, petting the spot of white over his right eye. "He--He's a leader and uh--" My vision went blurry. I couldn't--I needed to getaway. Far away. I needed to get away from this house and its happy little pack. Away from the hides and the pain they brought with them.

"Nora--" I didn't give Hamish any time to speak before I was rushing out of the hide room. I ran up the stairs and out of the den. As soon as I was outside, I shifted, Delta roaring in delight. All I did was run.