Chapter 16: 𝒜 𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒲𝒾𝓉𝒽 𝒴𝑜𝓊

------------- Two Months Later-------------

Time was up and I knew it. But even as the minutes turned into hours and the hours turned into days, I stayed. I played beer pong with the Knights and went out with Hamish. We laughed and danced and kissed. But it had to end. I was putting them in danger--again--by staying.

The night was warm and the sky was full of stars. I was tucked away under Hamish's arm, his minty breath cressing my skin. I had to do it--I had to do it! "Ha-Hamish?"

"Nora." He said, nuzzling my neck. No--I couldn't. I sat up, turning so I could face him. Hamish's eyes narrowed in worry. "What's wrong?" I took hold of his hands and squeezed them.

"What--what would you say if I asked you to run away with me?" His eyes turned hard.

"Somethings wrong." I shook my head, fighting back to the stinging of my eyes. "You only talk like this when somethings wrong."

"And you've never given me a straight answer." Hamish watched me in silence, his grip tightening on my hands.

"I would ask you why? Why do you want to run away?" I rubbed my eyes, giving a weak laugh.

"And what if the answer is because I want to have a life with you?" Hamish looked lost for words.

"I--I--"

"Hamish, I want a life with you. I want to have a normal-boring life with you somewhere quiet. Somewhere away from magic and monsters and evil." I knew his answer just by looking at his face. Tears spilled down my cheeks in fat streams, another laugh escaping my lips.

"I-I promised Cassie I'd stay--My life belongs to the cause." I bit my lips, trying my hardest not to sob. Not to completely break. I nodded, because it was the only thing I could do. "Nora--"

"It's okay. I understand." I ran a hand over his cheek. "I understand. And--and I'm so so sorry." He looked me over, confused.

"Sorry? No. I should be the one apologizing." Times up. Times up. I cupped his face in my hands, placing a gentle kiss on his pillow soft lips.

"I'm sorry for lying to you. Over and over again." I reached my hand into my pocket.

"Lying? Nora--" But before he could continue, I pulled out a handful of the gray dust Vera hand given me, blowing it into his face. Hamish's head fell backwards and he was out like a light. I covered my mouth with my hand, trying not to sob. Time was up. I leaned closer so I could whisper into his ear.

"You're name--" My throat tightened. "Your name is Hamish Duke. You are a Philosophy TA at Belgrave University and the leader of The Knights of Saint Christopher." I paused, looking him over with tear blurred eyes. "You've never met Nora Stone. Forget everything she ever said or taught you." I stood, wiping my tears. It was for the best. It was all for the best.

I shoved the hides back into the bag they had once lived in and threw the bag over my shoulder. "Nora! Hamish is passed out on the porch!" Randall called, a laugh in his voice. I opened the door and found him standing in the foyer, looking up the stairs.

"He must have had one too many." Randall snapped around, a grin on his face.

"We should--" He stopped, spotting the bag on my shoulder and my tear stained face. "Where are you going?" He asked, worry in his voice.

"Is Lilith in her room?" I asked, reaching my hand into my pocket. Randall looked me over.

"Uh--yeah. Is something wrong?" He asked as I came to him. A fresh wave of tears spilled from my eyes.

"Everythings going to be okay. I'm sorry." Before Randall could do anything, I was blowing a handful of dust into his face. He collapsed to the ground. I took a deep, shaky breath in. I had too. I had too.

I repeated the process I had used with Hamish on Randall, and soon, on Lilith. The den was quiet. No more laughter. No more happiness. Time was up.

I ran. Just as I always did.