Chapter 15: 𝒥𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒜 𝐿𝒾𝓉𝓉𝓁𝑒 𝐿𝑜𝓃𝑔𝑒𝓇

Minty air brushed against my cheek in a soft, even flow. It was someone's breath, I realized. I was warm. That cozy warm you get after sleeping or snuggling next to someone by a fire. My eyes were heavy and I didn't necessarily want to open them, but, in my gut, I knew I should. So, with a ton of inner will, I opened them. The room was dim, illuminated by the fake fire roaring in the fireplace.

White walls, strange art, hardwood floors. I was in a rich person's house. No--no, this was Vera's home. Vera's very Vera home. She sat in the white, blood-splattered armchair across from where I lay, asleep. She was a hot mess and somehow she still managed to look beautiful.

Soft snoozing pulled my eyes to the floor, where I found Randall and Lilith laying. Randall had spread out like water, while Lilith lay curled up beside him, like some cat. I went to laugh but found my throat was desert dry.

The arm wrapped around my waist tightened the slightest bit. Hamish. It was Hamish. I could tell just by the way his grip was gentle yet firm. I turned my head the slightest bit, finding I was right. His hair was sleep mussed and I loved it. Careful not to disturb him, I slid out of his embrace. Like some spy-ninja, I made my way over the two sleeping kids and past my sister.

When I made it into the kitchen, I found I had been dressed in my sister's coziest, most expensive pair of pjs. I grabbed myself a glass and poured myself some water. It was chugged and I was refilling the glass in less than a second. As soon as I had my fill of water, I moved onto the fridge.

Vera was running low on food again, but I found a few cheese sticks and an apple. I ate them no problem. I hopped up onto the counter, finding my body was sore and ate and drank in the silences and dimness of my sister's kitchen.

"Nora? She's gone! Get up!" I heard Hamish's panicked voice from in the living room. Lilith, Randall, and Vera were up in moments. I heard them move about the house and soon the lights to the kitchen were turned on, making my eyes burn.

"Fuck! Turn it off." I rasped, blocking my eyes with my half-eaten apple. A pair of strong arms were around me in seconds. Hamish's soft hair brushed against my chin, and I couldn't help but lay my cheek against his head. My food was placed on the counter beside me and my arms were wrapped around Hamish in moments. We stayed like that for what felt like an eternity. I wished we could stay like that forever. But all good things must come to an end and Hamish was pulling his head away, arms still around my waist.

"I thought--I thought you were going to die."

"Well, it was part of the plan." Hamish didn't look pleased. "I'm sorry--for everything," I said mindless running a hand through his hair. "I'm--" Hamish placed his forehead on mine.

"It's over now." He said with a shake of his head. "It's over." We stayed like that for a few moments, just being near each other.

"Do you really think I have pretty eyes?" Hamish's pillow-like lips pulled into a smile.

"Very pretty." As I stared into Hamish's gray-blue eyes in new, for once in my life, everything would be okay. That all the shit in my life would be subpar if I was here. With Hamish and his pack.

"I feel a group hug coming on," Randall said as the other came into the kitchen. I held onto Hamish a bit tighter, a laugh escaping my lips. I looked to find Randall and Lilith standing in the doorway, Vera behind them, arms crossed.

"Hell no." Lilith hissed, but Randall wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her over. The group hug was brief but strong. It was a promise, to stay together. No matter the odds. No matter our pasts.

It was a promise I hoped I would be able to keep. 

-------------------------------

The Knights of Saint Christopher and I had decided it was about time to head back to the den. My wounds were all healed and everything was in order. But as they left the house, I stayed back, knowing my sister wasn't done with me yet. Vera stood in the kitchen, drinking from a thin glass.

"They know too much, Nora. About you. About me. How I'm in The Order." She took a sip as I nodded my head weakly.

"I know."

"How long do you plan on playing house?" I growled, clenching my fists.

"Just let me have this, Vera. Just for a bit longer." She all but rolled her eyes.

"Oh, of course. Stay for as long as you want. But I trust you will do what must be done in the end." Her icy eyes snapped to me. Anger boiled in my veins.

"Of course."

"Hum." Was all she said before taking another sip. "You always get too close, Nora. Too emotional. Too weak." I was tired. Way too tired to deal with this.

"Are we done, Vera?"

"Almost." She made her way around the kitchen island and stood before me. She held her hand out. "I think it would be for the best if I held onto The Mind's Eye. Don't you think?" With a deep sigh, I shifted my arm and pulled the blue stone out, whole and looking brand new. I roughly shoved it into her awaiting palm.

"Don't get too hungry, Vera. It doesn't do your completion any wonders." Vera frowned deeply. I turned on my heel and made to leave.

"I hope you know what you're doing, Nora. You know what they'll do if you run from them again. If you betray them again." I gave Vera the finger and left her house, for what I hoped was for a long, long time.

Once outside, I stripped, throwing Vera's pjs to the ground. "You good?" Hamish asked as I came to a stop beside him and the others. I gave a tight lipped nod, taking hold of his hand. I wanted to hold his hand just a little longer. Be around the Knights for just a little longer.

"Yeah. Let's get out of here."

"You can say that again." And we all shifted, howling into the night.