Chapter 11: 𝒫𝒶𝓇𝒶𝓈𝒾𝓉𝑒

Vera had told us to wait for her at her house while she finished up at work. So, with a bit of arguing, we made it to Vera's house. Lilith wouldn't sit still and paced before Randall and I. "We shouldn't be here." She growled. "We should be out there killing some magical asshats." I bit at my nails, trying to keep myself calm. I had to be calm or they would start panicking.

"Patience, Lilith." The girl turned on me, teeth bared.

"I'm not patient. I'm the opposite of patient." I stood, bearing my own teeth down at her.

"If we rush to them now, it will only get one of us killed." Randall's phone went off, stopping our little stare-off. I turned to find Randall staring at it blankly.

"It's Hamish."

"Answer it." Lilith insisted, but I held her back.

"No." The always angry girl pushed me away.

"No? He could be hurt! He could need our help!"

"Did you listen to nothing I've said? He'll be under their spell! All he will want to do is find us and kill us." The phone stopped ringing. "It'll be okay. Vera will find a way to un-magic him and he'll be as good as new." The room fell silent.

"Somehow, I don't believe you." Hurt struck me square in the chest. Ver walked in right then, dropping a bag onto the coffee table.

"I have the spell, but it'll take a few minutes to set up," Vera said, pulling herbs and jars of stuff out of her bag. She looked to us. "What are you waiting for? Go get the parasite." We were on our feet in seconds, rushing towards the door.

"Do we have a plan?" Randall asked as we stripped.

"Uh--half a plan."

"Nice." We shifted, our wolves giving a mighty howl.

The den came into view a few minutes later, looking as abandoned as ever. Delta huffed, worry for Lilith and Randall flooding through her. She didn't like my plan. She thought it was reckless and wouldn't end well. I had hope it would work.

I carefully made my way around the outside of the den, waiting for Hamish to make an appearance. It wasn't until I made it all the way back to the front of the house did I hear it. A low, feral growl. I turned just in time to spot Tundra, once silver eyes turned red with infection before the white-gray furred wolf was barreling into me.

We went tumbling to the ground in a whirlwind of claws and fangs. I howled in pain as fangs sunk into my shoulder. Throwing Tundra off me, I quickly hopped to my clawed feet. I could feel my hot, sticky blood rush over my white fur.

'Hamish.' I thought, but all I got in return was rabid growling and roaring. My heart sunk. This is what had happened to Dylan. He had gone wild. Crazy, even. 'Hamish, fight it! I know you can.'

Hamish-Tundra gave a savage roar before rushing at me again. I blocked and dodged as many attacks as I could, but I didn't move fast enough. His claws tore through the fur and flesh and muscle of my back. Pain, white-hot, and angry, shot through my body. I gave my own roar, pushing the pain down before I rushed at Tundra. I shoved him over and over again. Each shove was a fight, not only against Tundra but against my own body. But I pushed on, shoving him back towards the den.

As soon as I got him there, Randall burst through one of the windows on the roof. He threw down a heavy, chain-link net. Tundra-Hamish looked up just in time to see the net crash into him, sending him into his knees. The net, which we had found in the artifact room, continued to weigh him down until he was flat on his stomach, growling and roaring in anger.