Epilogue: 𝑀𝒶𝓋𝒾𝓈 𝒜𝓁𝓁𝒶𝓇𝒹

-------------Mavis Allard-------------

Monsters were real and I was going to be murdered by one.

One minute, you're saving what you thought was a drowning kid, and then the next minute, the kid turns into a monster made of clay. Said monster-clay-kid wasn't the one drowning. No, he had been holding someone under the water and wanted to kill him. The man, who was half drowned, had handed me a very, very old dagger before the clay-kid ripped his heart out.

Now, thanks to that dead man, I was being chased around D.C. by a murderous child. A sane human being might have tossed the clay monster what he wanted. But there was something the pleading look in the man's eyes that told me I shouldn't. That this dagger should fall into the wrong hands. Or I could just be imaging the whole thing.

The sky decided to open up then, soaking me to my bones. I continued to run. If I stopped I knew the clay monster would be there, ripping my heart out. I turned the corner, my now wet red hair flinging into my eyes. With a quick swipe of the hand, I could see again, but to my horror, I found I was in an alley. An alley that was a dead end.

"My master says I have to kill you." The sweet, yet dull voice of the monster sounded from behind me. "You shouldn't have taken what wasn't yours." I turned to face the kid, who was making his way closer and closer.

"Did--didn't your mom tell you sharing is caring?" The kid's face didn't change one bit. It stayed emotionless.

"I don't have a mom. I wasn't born." And then the kid was upon me, tackling me to the ground before I even knew what was happening. The dagger flew out of my hand. I screamed and fought against the kid, but he was stronger.

His too thin fingers wrapped around my throat, blocking my airway. I gasped, screeching and clawing at his flesh, but it was just clay. Clay couldn't feel pain. "Does it hurt? Death?" He was crazy. "It fascinated me. Death. I don't think I'll ever get to experience it."

My head felt like it was going to explode. I was going to die! I didn't want to die! With what little time I had left, I reached for the dagger. So close. Just another inch. Black began to dance in my vision. Shit--shit! My fingers wrapped around the hilt of the dagger and I drove it through the kid's neck.

He didn't flinch. He didn't scream. No blood poured out of his wound. "Oh." Was all he said before flame burst from the knife, turning the clay-kid into ash. Air flew into my lungs and I lay there, shocked. What the hell had just happened? What the hell!

A door in the alleyway banged open, making me jump to my feet. I grabbed at my pain-filled throat and held the dagger out to defend myself. The door led into a black abyss. No one came out of the door. Nothing but chill air. I swallowed, my throat still hurting. I wanted to go in.

Was I crazy? Yes. I should be running away--or going to the police, but I found myself wanting to go in. I wanted to go into the building more than I had wanted to do anything in my life. So, I did, still holding the dagger at the ready.

I felt around the walls for a light switch and soon light flooded into the building. It looked like someone had turned a warehouse into a living space. Couches and armchairs and a tv sat in what looked like the 'living room'. A set of stairs led upwards, but I didn't dare go up them.

I found bookshelves full of old, dusty books and trinkets that looked like they belonged to some witch. On the far side of the room, sat a statue of a woman. A woman who looked strangely like Joan of Arc. Candles sat on and around the stone slab she stood on. But Joan wasn't the only thing that was eye-catching. Five boxes, each very different from the other, sat before Joan. My dagger lowered as I looked at them in awe.

My awe didn't last very long, for soon one of the boxes shook violently. It shook and moved like someone--or thing--was inside trying to get out. I was too terrified to move. All I could do was watch as the lid was thrown open. Fur--that was auburn fur I saw.

Before I could move, the fur threw out of its box and latched onto me like some nat. I screamed, pulling and strangling against it.

A woman stood before me. She had wavy brown hair and gray eyes that pierced through my very soul. She was tall and commanding. As fur slowly covered my eyes, she gave a striking smile. "Welcome to the Knights of Arc."

My world shifted and changed until it stopped, darkness wrapping around me.