Chapter 12: 𝒟𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝒞𝒽𝒾𝓁𝒹

Fear like some plague struck me. One victory. We had one victory and it was going to get stripped away from us in the blink of an eye. We had no plan. No way of stopping them. Flame and screams filled my senses. My pack trapped like wild animals. Dylan's blood on my hands. It seemed to get harder to breath.

"We need to leave. Now." Vera said, packing up her things.

"Can't you just snap your fingers and they'd be dead?" Lilith asked.

"Magic doesn't work like that, Miss. Bathory."

"How do you--"

"Stop asking questions." Vera snapped, tossing her bag over her shoulder. She pulled me to my feet, tossing the blanket over my shoulders. "Not only do you four have a target on your backs, but so do I. Let go."

"We can't just leave!" Randall said. Shrill ringing filled my ears and I flinched. The only Knights heard it too.

"They're locking us in." I said, stopping Vera. She looked at me with narrowed eyes.

"How do you know?"

"It's happened before. They burn the house down." Vera groaned dramatically.

"Of course they are."

"Then what do we do?" Hamish asked, but no one got to answer before there was a knock on the door. We all snapped around and found a boy around the age of eleven standing there. It was Malech. He gave us a smile, the red runes over his eye seeming to glow. "Do--Do we let him in?" Vera had gone very still next to me.

'We let him in and we kill him.' I thought to the pack. They turned to me, eyes wide.

'He's only a boy!' Hamish all but shouted.

'He's immortal.' I hissed. 'And a bigger threat then he lets on.'

'I--I don't know--I don't think I can kill a kid.' Randall thought.

'I'll do it.' Lilith said, her normal murderer-filled look gone in her eyes. She looked pale. I shook my head, going to tell her I would but I didn't get the chance. Demonic screeching filled my mind, breaking my connection to the Knights. I screamed, grabbing hold of my head. Hamish was grabbing me in his arms, trying to figure out what was wrong.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk. Delta, you offend me." Malech said, his voice a echoey mixture of a young boy's and an old man's. Delta shifted under my skin, uneasy. Vera was pulling me and the others back, pure fear in her eyes.

"Demon. He's a demon." Malech's smile widened.

"Demons are real?" Lilith asked, letting Vera pull her back.

"You didn't tell your friends about me, Delta? What a shame." Malech didn't even need to lift a finger to have the door swinging open. "After all, you summoned me and I was kind enough to give you that neat little mind trick of yours."

"That wasn't me." I growled. The demon nodded his head.

"Yes, yes. One of Delta's more foolish Champions." Malech looked at the gathered group, a smirk on his face. "You know the price I ask for Delta, in exchange for their lives."

"Protegatur icous hic." Vera said, spreading her hands out. Golden light emitted from them and shot out of the house. Malech growled, being pushed back by said golden light.

"Wicked." Randall said when Malech had locked out back outside. Vera grabbed my arm.

"It will only protect the house for so long. We need to be gone by then." The banging returned then and so did the ringing. The Silent Sisters were working fast. We all followed Vera down a hidden set of stairs that led to some a wired, dim basement filled with magical items and books. Randall whistled in awe.

"This puts our artifact room to shame." Lilith punched him in the shoulder. "Ow." Vera gave a simple flick of the wrist and a door opened into the woods.

"Where are we going?" I asked, throwing my blanket down. The other wolves 'derobed' as well.

"The abandoned house on campus." Hamish nodded.

"I know where that is." He shifted and we all followed suit. Vera looked up at me, a deep frown on her face.

"Do not--" But I picked her up before she could finish her sentence. We ran through the woods, day fading into night. It took us a few minutes before we made it back to campus. I placed Vera down before shifting back into human form. She huffed, straightening her dress. "Barbarin." She turned on her heel and walked off. I chuckled, following after her.

"What did that demon mean when he said he gave you telepathic abilities?" Hamish asked, walking beside me. I sighed.

"A former Champion of Deltas summoned Malech--the demon. He was the typical power hungry magic user. He summoned Malech and Malech delivered." I said, running a hand through my tangled hair.

"Your holding back." I looked to Hamish narrowly.

"What--"

"There's more to the story. I can tell." My heart sank a bit. I didn't let it show on my face.

"Malech killed the Champion. That's it." Just by the look Hamish gave me, I knew he didn't believe me.

"Here we are." Vera said, coming to a stop before a massive abandoned house. A chain-link fence surrounded it. "Stay here and don't do anything stupid." She looked each of us over before making her way into the building.

"Okay--raise your hand if you're a little freaked out that demons are real." Randall said. We all raised our hands.

"You knew about demons--well, this one." Hamish said. I could see he was on the verge of getting angry.

"I know enough to tell you Malech is a demon." Hamish sighed, rubbing his face.

"Nora, I want to believe you." I crossed my arms.

"What more do you want to know, Hamish?"

"He said there was a price. What price?" I paused. "You know what it is."

"I've already paid the price, Hamish! It didn't save him!" I all but shouted. Lilith and Randall stood quiet to the side, watching the events play out before them. Hamish's lips went thin.

"I--When the Silent Sisters took me, they had a stone. Half a stone." My eyes stung in anger and fear. I gave a slow nod. "They used it to take control of me." We stood there in silence. "Do you know what the stone is?" God his eyes were beautiful. Blue-gray like a stormy sea. I wiped the tears that slipped from my eyes.

"It's bad news."