Chapter Ten- Finding Strength

Thunder spread her wings wide, letting the power of the storm wash through her. She could feel the electric charge of the lightning and the thunder rumble deep in her chest. It was the most amazing feeling that she had ever felt.
As she looked around Thunder felt at home, not afraid. This was where she was meant to be, after all.
As she soared up through the clouds she felt a tugging sensation deep in her gut, telling her to call the lightning to her. She leveled out and glided on the warm air, and called the lightning to her.
What happened next shocked and scared Thunder.
Lightning struck her body and wings, seven or eight of them touching her scales. She felt their power run through her, could see the electricity crackling along her body. She let it build up inside her, feeling its power mounting second by second.
Thunder dove down towards the ground, the power still flowing through her, and then fanned her wings, letting the power out.
Multiple lightning bolts arched away from Thunder, tracing bright paths across the sky, and for a moment her eyes became pupiless, glowing with the power of the lightning, but only for a split second, and then it was gone.
In a bright flash Thunder felt the power subside, but could still feel it coursing through her. As she looked at her shaking talons she saw a brief flash of electricity flash between her claws.
Her heat hammered in her chest.
What was that? She thought, staring at her talons.
Nothing like that had ever happened before. She had only ever harnessed the power of one lightning bolt at a time. Only adult StormWings could harness the power of multiple lightning bolts, and normally that was only two or three, not six or seven.
Thunder decided to go back to the academy and try to process what had just happened. She glided gently through the rain and clouds, touching down on the smooth, wet stone outside the academy.
She walked towards the entrance and ducked inside, trying not to get any of the dragons wet. She heard someone gasp and looked up at them, and found that they were staring at her.
Now everyone was staring at her, wide-eyed.
Thunder was confused until she saw electricity run down her spine, zipping along the spines that covered her back. Thunder picked up her pace now, afraid that she might shock someone.
She made it back to the cave without incident, whispers following her down the hallway.
"How was your flight?" Asked her mother.
"Good." Said Thunder, trying to keep her voice from shaking.
"Did you go far?" She asked, looking up at her.
Suddenly Nimbus's eyes widened.
"What did you do?" She asked, her voice soft.
She got up and went over to her. Her mother reached out a talon, getting within inches of her scales before pulling back, hissing in pain.
"You shocked me." She said, looking at her.
"It's like you're charged with energy, and your scales are hot as well."
Thunder looked at her.
"The lightning called to me, and willed it to come to me. Seven bolts hit me at the same time, and the power was so strong..." she trailed off, thinking about what and just happened.
She could tell her mother wanted to hug her, but given that she couldn't even touch her right now that was an impossible task.
"I guess we'll have to wait for the power to drain off." Said her mother.
"Just don't touch anyone."
"Alright." Said Thunder.
"Seven bolts." She heard her mother mutter under her breath.
Thunder went over to the window and gazed out of it, watching as the storm dissipated.
That was just a taste of the power I'll channel once the prophecy comes true. she thought.
Thunder would never admit this to anyone else, but she had been truly scared. She has never felt anything that powerful.
Thunder took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Being the one chosen to fulfill a prophecy wasn't easy. She knew that it wouldn't be, but getting used to the power she could harness was difficult.
That night she curled up next to the window, tucking her head under her wing. It stormed all night and Thunder listened to the sound of the rain and thunder, the noise slowing her pounding heart.
The sounds of home.
She thought back to the forest fire and Queen Phoenix's attack. When she lost Cyclone. She sighed softly and shifted her head so she could gaze out the window at the moon that now peeked through a gap in the clouds.
It won't be so bad to go home. She thought.
It was different here, with new dragons and sprawling forests, but she longed for the tall pine trees of home and the scent of their crushed needles.
Thunder brushed the thoughts aside and closed her eyes, settling into an uneasy sleep. When she woke she found her father gone and her mother just getting up.
The black and gold StormWing got up and stretched, yawning wide.
"How did you sleep?" Asked her mother.
"Good." Said Thunder, gazing outside.
It looked like today would be another stormy day. A good day for flying.
"Let's go get something to eat." Said Nimbus, beckoning Thunder to follow her with a wing.
Thunder happily obliged, her stomach rumbling. They joined the few students in the eating cave, taking a spot over in the corner, away from the others.
Thunder picked a cow leg and a banana, eating quickly, wanting to get out and into the gathering storm. When she was just about to go outside she suddenly heard a student yell something. Suddenly students were running to the front of the school, whispering and gasping.
Thunder's heart began to pound, and she ran out into the gathering crowd of students, scanning the horizon for what they were all staring at.
Thunder got out in front of all the students and looked out over the forests and mountains, and spotted what they were all pointing and staring at.
Five brightly glowing orange dots could be seen getting larger and larger in the sky.
"What are they?" She heard one dragon whisper.
"I don't know." Said another.
Thunder looked over at her mother as she came up beside her. She watched as her mother's eyes locked on the glowing dots, anger flashing like lightning in her storm gray eyes.
"FlameWings." She growled, her eyes narrowing, tail lashing.
"They've found us."