injured

In the evening, when everyone in the dining room came together to eat with their guests, Charlotte wondered where Mr. Parker's brother was. She looked inquiringly into the group and looked expectantly to the door. This handsome braggart probably wanted a big performance. What? He wasn't handsome, not at all!

Her mother called her and asked her to bring some bread, ham and wine to the younger Mr Parker. When she was about to protest, her mother said quietly.

"Mr Parker is hurt. Be nice to him."

Annoyed, Charlotte went into the room upstairs by the stairs. She knocked briefly, but did not wait for an answer but opened the door quietly. She hoped that he was asleep and she could sneak out without him even noticing her. But of course luck was not on her side.

"Oh, thank you Miss...?" he asked stupidly, as if he had already forgotten her name.

"Heywood." Charlotte said briefly. She didn't see one telling him her first name, he didn't deserve it. She just wanted to turn around to disappear again when he reached for her arm, but kept away from touching her.

Charlotte looked at him with her eyebrows raised, but said nothing.

Ah, that's how it's gonna be. So she didn't want to make it easy for him.

Well, he had been really unkind to her. He was already in a bad mood when he got into the carriage. Then he hadn't really noticed the accident and had probably fainted for a moment, and then this young thing with her insanely big eyes and those many sweet freckles on her nose - since when were freckles sweet? Lay on him.

And that feeling was like.. that, was like that...yes what exactly? Confusing?

"Well?" she then asks, a bit too bugged.

What happened to those land owls? He asked himself.

And instead of apologising for his behaviour, what he was actually going to do, he pressed his hand on his wound and said harshly.

"When is the doctor coming?"

"What?" Charlotte was surprised.

She would have thought this guy was tougher after all. He wanted a doctor? With that little scratch? She's had worse.

Judging by his discontented look, she had not only thought that, but said it out loud. Charlotte flinched briefly. But then she stretched her chin and waited for his answer. But it didn't come. He nodded and puffed with the view of the food.

Hmm, maybe she wasn't that bad, after all so.... oh, he didn't know either.

"Thank you for the food." He looked at her, but could not bring himself to smile.

"Was not my idea." She turned around and left the room.

Later in the evening, when the little ones were already in bed and sleeping, the adults were still in the lounge talking about Mr Parker's dream of Sanditon. They were surprised when the door knocked and Mr Heywood let the Doctor in after Tom Parker had sent for him, for his brother.

"Charlotte, are you escorting Doctor Fuchs to the patient?"

"Yes, but..." she protested, but her mother just tilted her head and Charlotte stood up to take the doctor to the annoying guy in her brothers' room.

"I really don't know what this all about, it's just a little cut." She mumbled to herself as they entered the room.

Mr Sidney was lying on his right side and woke up as soon as they came into the room. He looked bad. Pale and cold sweat stood on his forehead. When he saw the doctor, he pulled the blanket back and leaned further into the mattress. He hadn't noticed Charlotte until suddenly his view was blocked by her skirt. She leaned over him at the level of his head to inspect the wound without obstructing the doctor. It was no longer bleeding, but had been deeply injured by a large splinter of wood stuck in his back.