either side of the path

Had he known that Miss Heywood would not be at breakfast, he probably would not have been so eager to show himself from his best side. He had put on his prettiest waistcoat and taken special care with the knot of his tie.

He was cheerful, charming and helpful. Qualities that were well received by the Heywoods and were seen as his true nature. It was true that Sidney was good with children, he was loved by his nieces and nephews, but among strangers he never tried to make a good impression. Among strangers, he didn't care what they thought of him. But he did here, and it wasn't only because of his gratitude for the hospitality.

Even though he was here for such a short a time, he felt at home somehow. Which was crazy, of course, but he felt it was.... family.

'Ha! What a stupid idea!' He scolded himself in his head. 

It was probably because Mr Heywood reminded him of his own father and put as much trust in him as his fatherly friend George Lambe.

A little disappointed that Miss Heywood was not there, he left the dining room with the plan to write a few business letters saying he would not return to London for at least another week.

He found business letters even more nerve-racking than personal letters, he had to think of every detail, not to overlook any mistakes or pay bills too late. After all, his name had always been equated with punctual payment and reliability, and that was to remain so.

A somewhat more difficult letter caused him to loosen his tie and fling it onto the bed. He walked up and down the room, although there was not enough room to do so, to get rid of his restlessness. His arm hurt him, he really never thought that the wound under his shoulder would affect his writing, but it did. With three long steps he was at the door and tore it open, only to forget at the same moment what he actually wanted to do.

"Miss Heywood." He said breathlessly.

Charlotte was standing in front of him, still raising her hand to knock when the door was ripped open.

"Mr Parker!" She cried somewhat startled, her clenched hand hovering at the level of his heart.

"Forgive me, I was just leaving to ....erm...get some fresh air."

"Oh that is quite alright, I want to ask you for the same."

Unbelievingly he looked at her and she blushed slightly. But she quickly recovered and explained to him that the children had asked if he wanted to go to the river with them. Suddenly pictures of her in the water flooded his thoughts again and this time it was Sidney who blushed.

"Oh, well, yes... erm, Thank you,..." he stuttered, that really didn't go well, he had to get a grip on himself!

"Well, I mean I would like to go swimming again..."

"Oh, you've been swimming?" Was he dreaming now or was she disappointed?

"Erm, yes...this morning." Sidney couldn't look at her and turned embarrassed into his room. He hoped she hadn't seen him.

"Too bad." She whispered, bit her lip and looked at him from under her lashes.

He smiled sheepishly at her words and got nothing out, but a croaky

"Yes, too bad."

For a moment they looked at each other and an awkward silence spread. Retracting her lips Charlotte let her gaze sink. She got a glimpse of his naked skin on the collar of his shirt and although she had seen him in other situations and felt his skin already under her fingertips, it was somehow a very intimate moment. Her gaze hung on his vulnerable skin for a moment too long and images of him from the first night flooded her mind.

"I beg you pardon", he managed to make her look him in the eyes again,

"I have a difficult business letter to write and yes..."

"Are you in pain, Mr Parker?" She asked anxiously and his heart almost stopped from the warmth that flooded him at that moment. Speechless, he looked at her, she saw his confusion.

"You write with your left hand." It was not a question. How did she know that? She laughed for a moment. The confusion was written all over his face.

"Well, I saw the ink." She pointed to his hand and he looked at it as if a third hand had grown on him. It was true his fingers were smeared with a minimal amount of ink, he was really surprised she noticed.

"I notice these things."

"Yes."

He smiled tentatively at her and shook his head over this ... this little miracle.

His brother Tom, hadn't noticed it yet. Again there was this little embarrassing pause between them and Charlotte was glad when her sister Sarah came to get her.

"Good afternoon, Mr Parker." She nodded briefly and was about to leave.

"To you, too, Miss Heywood ." He searched desperately for something more to say, but couldt only manage a hasty, "see you later."

"Oh yes, Mr Parker," cried little Sarah, "will you come to our picnic?"

"I'd love to." Sidney exclaimed delightedly, perhaps he was a little too enthusiastic after all and took a deep breath. It seemed like a sigh.

"Down by the river. Come when you're done."

The smile that Miss Heywood then threw over her shoulder caught him completely unprepared. Only after a while did he realize that he was the only one in the hall and he went back to his room. He would finish that stupid letter and then go down to the river. Some fresh air would do him good.

The dogs were particularly wild today and ran back along the path as if they had gone crazy and then jumped into the water in high spirits. When Terry ran too far away, Charlotte jumped up to bring him back. He was just too young and impetuous.

As she saw him, the green high grass on either side of the path as Sidney walks there and he touched the grass blades with his beautiful manly hands, deep in thoughts, she couldn't think straight and hide in the bush behind her. She could not disturb him, he looked a little, ...angry...or concentrated, and she couldn't bare the thoughts she was the one to distract him from what was on his mind.

If only she knew that it was her who made him think so hard that he was no longer aware of everything around him.