promise at the picnic

Dogs and children ran towards Sidney when he arrived at the Heywood family picnic. His eyes wandered, but there was no sign of Miss Heywood.

"She's just looking for one of the dogs." Mrs Heywood noticed without looking up and laid more treats on the blanket in front of her.

Of course, Sidney could have pretended that he didn't know who she was talking about, but with these people he somehow had the feeling he had to be honest. That if he was lying, they could see through him. They were so different from anyone he knew.

"Can I help you, Mrs Heywood?" He asked instead.

"Yes." Now she looked at him with the same penetrating eyes as her daughter, Sidney smiled at her, though her gaze was dangerous too.

"You can keep an eye on ... on the children for me." Somehow Sidney had the feeling she actually wanted to say something else.

"Of course."

He strolled over to where the children were playing catch and running over the field which shimmered in the golden sun. Some of them run around with rackets. Since he was also good with his nephews and nieces, it was easy for him to persuade the children to play together. Although his shoulder hurt a little bit, but something like that had never stopped him before. After a while, he divided the children into two teams and let them play cricket. Sidney acted as referee, but was suddenly distracted when Miss Heywood joined her parents with flowing hair and gathered skirts. The huge dog by her side was wet and shook itself in front of her, which she seemed to be annoyed about, but at the same time laughed so heartily that tears came to his eyes at that moment.

How happy do she has to be to laugh like that? How unspoilt by the world outside, so pure and innocent. The feeling of wanting to protect her at all costs from the evil world grew in him, he would have liked run to her and ask her to stay here. In the cocoon of family and love. Out there, adventure and something new, another life was waiting for her, but it was dangerous.

"Mr Parker, come on," cried Mr Heywood and waved to him.

Only then did Charlotte seem to notice him and immediately drop her skirts. She then ran down to the river to wash her hands. The children did the same and then they all met again on the picnic blankets. There was eating and laughing, some of the smaller ones were running around in between, the dogs tried to steal sausage or cheese. But an angry look and a raising of the hand made them sit down. Again and again Sidney's look wandered to Charlotte, now and then he caught her looking in his direction. But since both looked away immediately, one could hardly attach any importance to the whole thing. Her skin was glowing. The sun let her hair shimmer in a dark chestnut red, it now lay gently on her back again. How would it feel to run his fingers through it?

"Mr Parker, when do you have to go back to London?"

"I suppose, I'm going in a week, Mr Heywood."

Was that disappointment on Miss Heywood's face? Sidney, distracted for a moment, indulged in this thought, but still wanted to make it clear that he would comply with Mr Heywood's request to look after Charlotte a little.

"But I shall commute and come back every few days."

"That's good." Mr Heywood nodded and looked briefly at Charlotte, who distracted herself by cutting cheese for one of her siblings.

"At the end of the week is the ball her brother spoke of, isn't it?" Mrs Heywood asked.

"Yes, that's right."

"Your brother said you have many friends from London coming to the ball."

"Erm, well, my two closest friends will come, they may want to invest in Sanditon."