coolness of the heart

Her eyes were fused with his. She said nothing. She just breathed.

It dawned on him that he had crossed the line. The line of friendship. It was over.

He was stupid enough to lose his heart again to someone who didn't feel the same way. Slowly, Sidney released his gaze and fingers, but she reached out and held them. It was warm, so pleasantly warm. Their fingers were now firmly connected. Only the coolness of the heart lay between them, which slowly took on the temperature of their intertwined fingers. Her fingernails pressed lightly into his skin, making him believe it was real. That she was real. Charlotte.

Sidney dared to look at her and she looked down at him, her eyes deep brown and full of emotion glittering in the setting sun, which conjured golden rays of light into her room. It reminded him of Willingden. The days when he was confined to bed and she had to look after him. The light shone at such a strange angle that he had to blink a few times. It was flickering. He got up suddenly.

Charlotte craned up to him as he towered over her. Her heart pounded wildly in her chest as he leaned closer. The tingling sensation filled her mind. It was everywhere. Sidney gently placed his forehead on hers and breathed her in. Immersed in her scent that hadn't let him sleep soundly since the first night. It had changed, slightly, there was more salty air mixed in.

His nose stroked her cheek tenderly and he heard her gasping shakily for air. At first he did not move. Slowly he began to draw light circles with his thumb on her hand, which was still intertwined with his. The heart in their middle was now as warm as her delicate skin. That she allowed him to touch her in this way was the most beautiful gift he had ever received. He would never let her go.

After a while he raised his forehead slightly from hers. So slowly that she had the chance to react. Leaning against him, Charlotte opened her eyes and closed them again. Her cheeks were slightly flushed. Her breath stroked his cheek and as he turned his face a little, his lips tickled. 

Sidney closed his eyes, the sight lingered in his mind. Then he felt a tingling sensation. Her lips floated in front of his. The feeling completely engulfed him until he could no longer hold it back. The urge to taste her lips. He had to take the chance. So outrageously slow he let his hot lips slide over her soft ones. A loving touch. It was heaven.

Time. Time disapeared.

Charlotte had no idea how long they'd been standing there. How long their lips had barely stopped touching. She swayed slightly and leaned closer to him until her lips pressed tentatively against his. He sighed. Suddenly she felt his hand on her back. Warm and firm. It was so unexpected, frightening and yet it felt so right. He followed the contour of her spine until his long fingers touched her tender neck. She gasped for breath without lifting her lips from his.

Breathtaking gently he let his fingers run over her neck until he embraced her face. Her skin was tingling where he touched her. So light. A warm wave flooded her body as he tightened his grip. Sidney lifted her intertwined fingers between them and somehow pressed her even closer to him. A strange sensation crawled in places she had never felt before.

When Charlotte leaned more firmly against him and he felt her soft perfect femininity at his cheast, he groaned with lust. It was so unexpected and yet he had been longing for it for weeks. It hurt in his chest, the feeling of unbelievable happiness. It flooded through him and the desire for more let a pleasant shiver glide through his body. The anticipation of what was to come.

Charlotte breathed so heavily as her soft lips parted slightly from his. As if she wasn't ready to really let go, she tightened her grip on his vest. He was so absorbed by her lips and her scent that he didn't even notice that her hand had moved to his chest.

"I love you."

He confessed breathlessly. The words floated between them as she whimpered lightly, strengthening her hold. Tenderly, he stroked her cheek and released his lips further from her. He chuckled in relief. It was such a magical sound that Charlotte wanted to hear it again and clumsily pressed herself against him. But he didn't chuckled anymore, a rumble deep from his chest vibrated in her body as well and the parts that had been tingling slightly before felt like they were burning. The feelings were overwhelming. It scared her and yet she could not stop. Closer. She wanted to be closer. Closer.

He let go of her hand and embraced her waist with his strong arm. The hand on her cheek slid to the back of her head and pressed her so tightly against him that she shivered. She no longer knew what was happening to her. She was dizzy. Could hardly breathe. Sidney caressed her lips, but he didn't dare go any deeper. Careful. Be careful.

Slowly, he soared back to the surface. His thoughts whirled around.

Charlotte felt feverish. Glowing. Her eyes fluttered open and looked into his. They were silent. Silence surrounded them. The room was now almost completely dark. The sky outside her window shimmered in a dark blue. It was all so unreal. To make sure that all this had just happened, she let go of his vest completely and slid her hand towards his face. His stubble scratched her fingers slightly as she let her fingertips fly over his face. His eyes glistened. She looked into the deep black and knew she had to say something.

"I've missed you."

His breath was quivering. The heart rose in his chest and he felt as if all his worries were gone at that very moment. Glad it was dark, Charlotte dared to say even more. She briefly closed her eyes to gather herself. His scent strengthened her.

"Thank you."

He looked at her with irritation.

"That you gave me your heart."

The words had much more meaning than the medallion, which she was still clasping with her fingers. His hand, which was buried in her hair a moment ago, reached for her hand on his heart and he led it to his lips and kissed her knuckles. She swallowed. He looked into her eyes and lowered his head. Insecurity flooded through him, as he leaned his forhead back on hers.

Sidney cleared his throat and muttered.

"We... I think it's time for dinner."

"Oh."

"It probably wouldn't be so good if Mary found me in your room."

Embarrassed, he sought her gaze and smiled at her before slowly turning away from her. Her hand slipped over his arm as he moved.

"Sidney."

His heart was pounding in his chest. Her slightly breathless voice, barely a whisper, enveloped it and tears tickled his eyes as he was pulled back to her.

"Yes?"

And with the most enchanting smile on her blushed face, she told him the most important words he ever wanted to hear.

"I love you."