Chapter 4: How does this work?

The next morning it's Sunday I woke up early like around 8:30 in the morning. I got myself ready for work in a flash,and quietly I crept outside to my car careful not to make any noise. My work start at 9:30 to be exact, it's only about a ten minute drive from my home.

I saw Johny the minute that I walk inside the food court standing in front of the cash register holding a pen and a writing pad in hand.

''Hi good morning'' I said to him. He look up from whatever he was writing on that pad and greet me. '' oh hey morning ... what bring you here so early in the morning?''.''I want to start work'' I said to him straightforward. ''oh so soon?'' He cross his hands across his chest. ''well yeah and I know I'm not due until next week ...still I wanted to know if you guys make an exception?''. At first I'm positive he'll says no.''sure if that's what you want we'll make an exception''. I smile. ''thank you. So where do I start?'' ''follow me I have to check you in first''. I follow him to the back we past the kitchen and as we past the kitchen I see most of the workers were getting they utensils ready. some were cooking, refilling, cleaning and on top of it all lot's of talking going on making it sound like a chorus. ''wow you guys do a lot here''. I say more to myself then Johny because he's not really seeing my reaction right now. He open this door and he gesture for me to follow him.''this is the office and this is where you be coming in to check in and out of work''. ''okay thank you''.I said to him''Alright now I'm going to show you what you be doing here at work follow me out this way''. I follow him out the door as he starts to lead the way. He stops in the kitchen.''you're be working in here picking up food order from the cooks''. I nod "sometime you might even have to cover for an absent worker and the cash register at last you're be working as a cashier''. He starts to walk up the front again,so I follow him assuming that he wants me to.

''Today you'll be here working the cash register on that side''. He points his finger to the cash register that was opposite from his side.'' So yeah I cover all that um and there's this guide book that I need to give you to take with you at the end of your shift''. I nod.'' So what now?''. I ask.'' now you wait for customers and yeah usually at that time we don't have any at this time but around 12 o'clock you'll start seeing them. It get's very busy around those time so use a fast pace while working''.'' So usually in a slow time like this one, we do our own independent work that needs to be done. And that involve cooking, cleaning, putting money in the cash register and so on''.'' Nay question?'' He ask after a few second of silence.''no''.''Alright I'll be in the office if you need anything you can ask me or any of the workers here''. I nod and he walks to the back headed for his office. I took a seat in front of the cash register. Inside the food court there are red and blue round tables in the center of the it. At the end of the corners there's booth, the drinks filter,a mustard, ketchup and pickle stand. The windows are clear glass that you van see through. You can see the view of the mall perfectly well from where the booths are located. This place is squeaky clean I've notice. While coming here to the mall I've been in here couples of time before while hanging with Shannel and our other friends from school. The reasons why, would have to do wit6h the fact that there's a lot of food court in this mall and I'm usually not around here it's not where most high schoolers be More adults actually.

After sitting out front and waiting for a single costumer to come which by the way never happened. I decided to go in the back to help the other employee band now Johny is taking over as the cashier now. I'm working with Jessica, she is one of the workers that served in the back kitchen. She one of the chefs here. She looked about maybe in her mid-twenty's. She have jet black hair, her eyes are blue and also she's got this Island girl swag going on. Right now she's showing me how some of th popular dish that they serve here are cook. Jessica explain to me that dish such as apple crisp, baked potato soup, black bean nachos...and on and on blah, blah, blah, dish the costumers like. Be clean at all time sick don't even dear to come to work. Honestly I really thought this would be a lot more self explanatory I mean really.'' so remember Emily to always smile at the costumer and to say thank you come again''. I nod and at the same time yarn to show the broadness on my face.''I'm going to give you a book that has all the recipes that you'll be needing here, so you can recite them''. Johny walks in the kitchen now.'' Emily need you out front we've got costumers''. Thank god. I walk to the front and sees sure enough alot of costumer in line on both side of the cash register. I quickly take my position on a chair and start greeting them. Although Johny haven't teach me anything on how the cash register works but still I don't think it's that hard. Is it?. Once in a while I glance over to where Johny is sitting at doing his part perfectly right while me in the other hand struggle.The costumer were ordering way to much at once it was to much honestly for me to handle.'' excuse me miss did you get all my orders in?'' A young lady about in her mid-thirty ask.'' um no mam just a sec please''.'' sweetie you going to have hurry my break almost over''. I stumble trying to focus.'' yes of course um. oh gosh. How does this work?''. I mumble to myself.'' I'll take care of it''. Johny says.''go in the back and get Lucy for me I want you two to switch spots''. I ran to the back to get Lucy. Lucy does the dishes. Just great right?. I wash dishes before to tell you the truth but never this much. The whole dishwasher. Putting the dishes in the right order. Dumping the left overs seriously. I'm soak wet my hands all muggy and shit. I clean out the dishes then put them inside the dishwasher machine and I kept doing all that for two hours straight until finally Johny calls for me to come out front.